LINE OF BUSINESS/DIVISION : Working Forest Fund®
FLSA STATUS : Exempt
REPORTS TO: North Coast Timberland Manager
NUMBER OF POSITIONS REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: 0
LOCATION : Ukiah or Fort Bragg, CA
The Fund owns and manages 73,000 acres of timberland in Mendocino and Sonoma Counties, California, for sustainable timber harvesting, watershed restoration, and forest carbon offsets. We are certified through the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) as a sustainably managed forest, the Climate Action Reserve and the California Air Resource Board for the sale of carbon offsets under the California Cap and Trade program. The Forester is responsible for development of timber harvest plans, logging supervision, inventory updates, tree planting and other silvicultural needs, in support of the forestry and carbon program. The Forester will also be required to assist with post-harvest timber cruising and inventory updates in support of our sustained yield plan and carbon inventory updates.
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination or booster by date of hire to be considered.
Proof of vaccination required.
RESPONSIBLITIES & SCOPE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Develop Timber Harvest Plans (THP) in conformance with the California Forest Practice Rules and TCF's management plans and see the THP through approval, harvesting and closeout.
* Secure permits from and ensure compliance with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife Code, the State Water Resources Control Board, the US Department of Fish and Wildlife Endangered Species Act as necessary and other state, federal and county regulations.
* Supervise logging, including associated road construction and maintenance.
* Implement forest inventory; install and measure fixed and variable radius plots for our forest and carbon inventories.
* Oversee subcontractors to conduct biological surveys and habitat assessments for northern spotted owls, California red legged frogs, foothill yellow legged frogs and other species of interest.
* Develop and monitor other silvicultural activities such as pre-commercial thinning, tree-planting, brush-clearing, invasive weed control, and other similar projects.
* Bachelor of Science in Forestry or related field.
* Minimum of 2 years experience with forest management, THP preparation and/or logging supervision.
* Motivated individual, eager to learn and to contribute to the overall success of our forest management program.
* Strong work ethic and time management skills.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to productively engage with contractors, customers, stakeholder groups and the general public.
* Proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team.
* Current California Driver's license and consistent access to a vehicle to travel to work sites.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
* Familiarity with ArcGIS and FORSEE and inventory growth models.
* Bilingual in Spanish.
* The successful candidate will be expected to work outdoors, in arduous conditions, in all weather, and in rough and/or steep terrain.
* Work is performed in both office and outdoors, in all weather conditions.
* Estimated travel varies depending on the destination, but up to three hours of driving per day may be required.
* Overnight travel will be infrequent (less than once per month).
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary, opportunities to earn performance-based bonus compensation and a highly competitive package of benefits including employer contributions for health care, paid holidays, vacation and personal/sick leave, retirement plan and more.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time, with or without notice.
***To apply, please submit cover letter and resume with application***
To learn more about The Conservation Fund, visit https://www.conservationfund.org.
The Conservation Fund, a nonprofit corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer that fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave status, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression. The Fund prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.