Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc. is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas, please visit our website at www.astellas.com.
Universal Cells , an affiliate of Astellas located in Seattle, WA, is focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. We conduct clinical-grade gene editing of stem cells to produce cells that avoid rejection and can be used in allogeneic cell therapy treatments to treat all patients that need them.
OUR GOAL - ONE CELL FOR EVERYONE
NO IMMUNE SUPPRESSION. NO DONOR MATCHING. NO REJECTION.
We are a dynamic team of research and scientific professionals who are passionate about turning science and innovation into medical solutions. Through our diversity, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus on innovation, we are merging our technology with the Astellas drug development expertise to unlock cures to many therapies. Join our team of committed, enthusiastic professionals devoted to making the most effective, life-saving cell therapy products in the world.
Universal Cells (UCI) is announcing a Senior Scientist, Tumor Cell Biology opportunity at their facility in Seattle, WA .
This Senior Scientist position will be focused on building and managing a team to develop and execute new assays to characterize immuno-oncology cell therapy products. This position will be key to expand internal expertise related to tumor cell biology and the role of the tumor microenvironment in efficacy of cell therapy products.
Essential Job Responsibilities
* Demonstrate expert knowledge in cancer immunology, including the role of various immune cells and cytokines in immune regulation.
* Lead a team with direct reports. Be able to manage own scientific workload and direct the work of other Scientists and Researchers to achieve project goals and timelines.
* Closely collaborate with other teams within the research group to achieve research goals.
* Serve as the technical lead and establish key in vitro immuno-oncology assays for evaluation of cell therapy products, with specific emphasis on models of solid tumors and tumor microenvironment. Help translate key in vitro findings into relevant in vivo models.
* Apply scientific rigor to all aspects of the job, including experimental design, troubleshooting, analysis, and interpretation.
* Prepare technical reports, experimental summaries, and protocols/SOPs to support product development.
* Regularly present research progress at group meetings and team meetings across Astellas sites.
* Performs other duties as assigned or special projects as needed
* This position will play a critical role in developing next generation cell therapy products in collaboration with other Astellas sites and project teams.
* Reports to Director of Research.
* Will be responsible for managing small team of direct reports.
* Closely collaborates with colleagues and other teams within the Research group at Universal Cells and other Astellas sites.
* PhD. in immunology, cancer biology, or a closely related field with an additional 5+ years of relevant post-graduate experience; MS with 8+ years or BS with 12+ years of relevant experience.
* Experience and strong interest in cell therapy and/or immuno-oncology research.
* Direct knowledge and hands-on experience with human immune cell-based assays, including NK cells, T cells, and myeloid cells, as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record.
* Experience in vitro and/or ex-vivo assessment of lymphocyte effector function, including tumor cell killing and cytokine production.
* Strong background in flow cytometry with ability to independently design and run multi-color flow cytometry assays.
* Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team with direct reports.
* Strong organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills with scientific attention to detail.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Strong work ethic with a passion for working in a fast-paced, dynamic and diverse work environment.
* Prior industry experience.
* Prior experience with studies of tumor microenvironment, including co-culture and 3D models.
* Experience using RNA-sequencing and/or other omics technologies to interrogate immune cell function.
* Experience with solid tumor in vivo models.
* Experience with fluorescent microscopy.
* Familiarity with gene editing technologies and their application to cell therapy.
* Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
* Generous Paid Time Off options, including Vacation and Sick time, plus national holidays including year-end shut down
* 401(k) match and annual company contribution
* Company paid life insurance
* Annual Corporate Bonus and Quarterly Sales Incentive for eligible positions
* Long Term Incentive Plan for eligible positions
* Referral bonus program
Category Universal Cells R&D
Astellas is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment.
EOE including Disability/Protected Veterans