Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Molecular Microbiology
EMPLOYER: Laboratory of Dr. Sam King, Center for Microbial Pathogenesis at Nationwide Children's Hospital (NCH) and The Ohio State University.
LOCATION: Columbus, Ohio, USA
SALARY: Based on NIH Post-doctoral stipend guidelines, benefits include family health insurance, matched retirement account
POSITION TYPE : Full-time
DISCIPLINE: Microbiology, host-pathogen interactions, bacterial genetics
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Non-profit
* Applicants must have an MD, Ph.D., or MD/PhD
* Strong background in microbiology, bacterial genetics, or biochemistry required.
* Prior experience with protein purification, microscopy, biofilms, and interspecies interaction is a plus.
* Candidates should be capable of designing and carrying out high-level, complex research experiments independently.
* Applicants with a good track record of publication are desirable, along with effective communication skills and scientific writing skills.
RESEARCH DESCRIPTION : The King lab seeks highly motivated individuals to investigate how oral streptococci bind to the heart valve during development of infective endocarditis. Adhesion is key step in pathogenesis and the mechanisms utilized by different species and strains are poorly understood. The major focus of this project would be to use defined mutations and recombinant proteins to investigate the role of novel S. oralis sialic acid binding protein AsaA and orthologs of this protein in other species to define the role of this adhesin in infective endocarditis. In addition to being an excellent research environment, NCH offers multiple career development opportunities. Members of the laboratory are encouraged to pursue these opportunities, write grants, and develop their own projects. To apply, please submit curriculum vitae, a cover letter indicating areas of expertise and interest, and a list of 3 references.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
We can offer potential candidates:
* Financial support to develop new ideas
* Strong mentorship to support career development toward academia or industry jobs
* State-of-the-art laboratories and core facilities
* Affiliation with The Ohio State University College of Medicine
* Collaborative initiatives with other faculty at NCH and world-wide