Vice President, Biology/Functional Genomics
San Francisco, CA
Our client's mission is to enable pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to bring more cell and gene therapies to patients, by dramatically increasing the efficiency of viral vector production and reducing the cost of manufacturing. Our client's rapidly growing and cross-disciplinary team consists of creative bioengineers and synthetic biologists working alongside data scientists to create cutting-edge solutions to problems in gene therapy.
* Applying knowledge of functional genomics and novel approaches to drive research and partnership projects that will optimize and expand the capabilities and applications of the technology;
* Guiding and leading the Biology Team towards the execution of research and partnership efforts;
* Building and managing the Biology Team, including recruiting, hiring, mentoring, and retaining a multidisciplinary team of world-class scientists;
* Interfacing with and presenting to the Scientific Advisory Board, Co-founders, and Board of Directors on research operations, plans, and milestones;
* Playing a significant role, both strategically and tactically, in advancing the company's IP portfolio, including initiating the drafting of patent applications in collaboration with the Chief IP Counsel and external IP teams;
* Establishing and implementing systems and processes that improve team efficiency while also enabling the group to scale in a sustainable and efficient way;
* Refining and managing the Biology Team budget to align with overall strategy, costs, and timelines;
* Translating overarching vision for the Biology Team into tangible, quarterly goals, and guiding the team on a regular basis to track progress against milestones to ensure objectives are achieved;
* Working hands-on with the team to troubleshoot complex project-related issues that arise; and
* Influencing and guiding company culture in a positive manner by supporting other members and activities as needed.
* You have a Ph.D. in a relevant discipline such as molecular or cellular biology, genomics, or biochemistry.
* You have served as a successful, senior R&D leader within an early-stage biotechnology company and bring a strong track record of innovation and leadership.
* You have experience building, managing, motivating, and retaining talented, multi-disciplinary (molecular biology, cell engineering, automation, etc.) scientific teams.
* You are comfortable working in a dynamic, rapidly growing environment.
* You have experience with high throughput genome engineering methods in mammalian cells.
* You are a creative, forward-thinker who has experience implementing and iterating upon novel scientific processes and technologies.
* You have experience with IP and are comfortable working with internal and outsourced IP teams to translate discoveries from the Biology Team into patent applications.
* You have strong managerial qualities, including a strategic and scientifically oriented mindset, strong attention to detail, strong organizational skills, emotional intelligence, credibility, integrity, creativity, and unflappable behavior in the face of adversity.
* You enjoy problem-solving and have a knack for innovation evidenced by a proven ability to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve problems quickly.
* You think systematically but are also able to adapt and be flexible as needed.
* You have a can-do attitude, a polished disposition, and the gravitas to represent the company credibly to partners.
* You are able to oscillate between "big picture" strategy and hands-on, tactical execution.