Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and custom-designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar's world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world's fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006.
Canadian Solar is one of the world's largest solar photovoltaic products and energy solutions provider, as well as one of the largest solar power plant developers globally. We are currently in search of an Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Manager, with battery-related safety experience, to join our team to work on all EHS aspects involved in a battery energy storage system (BESS).
The ideal candidate thrives within a high paced, high-volume environment. The EHS Manager will be an integral part of the System Solutions and Energy Storage (SSES) team and must possess a positive, proactive, and team-focused approach to daily work. Ensures that EHS standards are executed on Canadian Solar BESS Projects. The successful candidate will also make sure that safety standards are implemented in design, development, and operation of our internal BESS products.
* Provide expertise, support and assistance on the development, implementation, and monitoring of the EHS management system and project specific OHS programs, plans, risk registers, and management system components including policies, procedures, work instructions and forms.
* Be responsible for emergency response planning, fire prevention, hazardous waste management, resource conservation, regulatory compliance, development, and updates of EHS policies and plans as required for different countries and locations.
* Support SSES team members to complete ESG and EHS questionnaires for RFPs and contracting needs in accordance with the Company's Sustainability and EHS plans. Ensure project insurances, corporate general liability, professional liability, workers compensation and other insurances policies are implemented effectively and adequately.
* Conduct on-site in-field EHS audits, inspections, and observations of OHS related project activities to monitor their compliance, identify and follow up on non-compliance, areas for improvement and other such gaps related applicable laws, regulations, contract commitments and Canadian Solar's internal corporate requirements.
* Confirm project sites comply with all current EHS regulations and ensure that all employees are aware of safety requirements, prepared to follow safety procedures, and have relevant training, certifications, and licenses to perform the work where applicable. Complete risk assessments and job hazard assessments in support of site activities
* Proactively recognize and encourage positive workplace OHS practices, and compliance to program and legislative requirements among project personnel and contractors. Collaboratively interact with them to help identify solutions to OHS compliance and program gaps. Complete contractor OHS program and plan reviews as part of tender and contractor selection processes specific to project needs and requirements.
* Support overall OHS program improvement initiatives. Source, develop and deliver necessary EHS training sessions, maintain and update training records and certificates.
* Prepare detailed reports and follow up on recommended corrective actions associated with completed compliance & oversight reports, incident reports, observations, and root-causes.
* Document/record safety data pertaining to project oversight activity including entering/transcribing oversights information through various internal Canadian Solar's information management systems according to established procedures.
* Work with legal department to ensure all sub-contracts are sufficiently obligating the contractor for their insurance obligations depending on regional jurisdiction requirements. Including collecting contractor licenses, insurance certificates etc.
* Support the update of the Company's ESG report to include the storage product line. Activate and maintain subscriptions to ESG portals such as EcoVadis as required by specific Clients
* Maintain organization's ISNetWorld subscription and meet Client requirements on the platform by updating sections of the EH&S plan as needed.
* Keep up to date on latest EHS and ESG trends in the energy Storage industry.
* Be willing and able to travel extensively within US, Canada, Europe, Australia, and other locations where business requires for extended periods of time including weekends and overnight.
* Be willing and able to work flexible hours (evenings, weekends) as required.
* Other duties as assigned by the management and Director of Quality and EHS.
Qualifications & Requirements
* Min 5-10 years of OHS experience in an equivalent role within construction project, industrial processing, or other civil or environmental remediation experience.
* College diploma or university degree within an OHS or related field from an accredited Canadian, US or international program.
* Specific EHS knowledge and work experience in lithium-Ion battery, BESS commissioning and O&M, high voltage electrical equipment including ARC flash and construction safety preferred
* The designations of chartered member of the Institute of Safety and Health (CMIOSH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) an asset.
* Working knowledge and experience of ISNetWorld.
* Technical & practical OHS knowledge, on various topics such as hoisting & rigging, ground disturbance, fall protection, excavation and trenching, heavy equipment operation, emergency & hazardous material release response, electrical safety, confined space.
* Detailed practical knowledge of US State and Federal, Canadian provincial and federal OHS legislative requirements, compliance frameworks, standards, and industry best practices.
* Exceptional communication skills well developed listening skills, and ability to interpret business and/or client needs as part of OHS compliance oversight effort.
* High attention to detail and ability to tailor communications to mixed audiences.
* Outstanding relationship management, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
* Exceptional ability to solve problems through soft and hard analytical skills.
* Experience completing OHS risk registers, hazard assessments, JHA/JSA, and developing or working with behavior-based safety programs.
* Working knowledge of root-cause analysis principals and tools such as Apparent Cause Analysis (ACA), Root Cause Analysis (RCA), and other safety analytical tools.
* Ability to maintain and grow safety knowledge including industry best practices and pending changes in legislation
* Knowledge and experience with ISO 9001, 45001 & 14001 preferred
* Safety knowledge in Working at Heights, Fall Protection, Fire Protection Electrical Safety and WHMIS
* Knowledge and practical experience in accident investigation
* Strong administrative and organizational skills
* Computer literate in Windows applications, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint), SmartSheet
* Presentation skills are an asset
* Ability to work with minimal supervision
* Team attitude with a willingness to learn
* Experience with California OSHA requirements
* OSHA 30-hour training required.
* OSHA 510 preferred
Compensation & Benefits
Canadian Solar offers a competitive salary plus fully comprehensive benefits and performance bonus package based on an annual objective achievement. Our generous benefits package includes a 401(k) Retirement Plan, medical/dental/life/disability program, PTO and sick days.
Canadian Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.