Job Summary -
The Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) - 3D Cell Biology reports directly to the Medical Director. This position will support our 3D platform and will focus on the development of 3D models for both internal and external (customer-driven) projects. This individual will be expected to support the establishment of new models, maintain existing models, generate approaches for high-content screening applications and interface across laboratory capabilities to support the Predictive Oncology scientific portfolio. This individual will also be expected to cross-train in other areas of the laboratory, including our clinical offerings, and will maintain competency in all designated areas of the lab. They must maintain thorough and authentic documentation for all processes. The MLS will develop logical approaches to identify and resolve problems and provide timely solutions; generate data and perform complete analysis; draw preliminary conclusions and suggest next steps.
General Functions -
* Work with scientific leadership, team members and external collaborators to design, develop and implement 3D models for various cancers
* Leverage expertise in high-content screening applications related to 3D cell biology
* Design image-based assays, image acquisition and analysis as it relates to 3D models
* Provide scientific support and expertise for cell-based, molecular, and biochemical assays across laboratory functions
* Demonstrate a strong understanding of the scientific process, experimental design and experimental analysis
* Understand the need for and direct implementation of appropriate validation processes, quality control and operating procedure generation as it relates to the 3D portfolio
* Be able to independently execute and troubleshoot experiments and optimization
* Operate within a results-driven organization with an emphasis on bringing timely results to the customer and ultimately, to cancer patients
* Must be familiar with data collection, analysis, and CQI methods as our laboratories operate under a continuous quality improvement initiative.
* Be able to identify areas for process optimization and implement changes through the corporate change management system.
This position is best suited to someone desiring to work in a proactive team environment that places strong emphasis on providing accurate and timely information to clients and collaborators.
* Extensive understanding of cell and molecular biology
* Human primary cell culture experience, 2D and 3D
* Understanding of statistics and appropriate applications
* Experience with laboratory automation such as Beckman, Hamilton, OpenTrons and/or Tecan systems.
* Understanding of / experience with protein biochemistry
* Understanding of / experience with immunologic staining and measurement
* Understanding of the principles of process quality control
* Experience with design control and design history documentation
* History of developing and meeting schedule, budget, and scope requirements
* Ability to develop policies and procedures
* Effective problem-solver with an ability to make sound decisions independently
* Ability to make informative, well-organized presentations to internal and external stakeholders
* Ability to meet deadlines through the effective use of time management skills
* Organization, attention to detail, accurate and thorough
* Well-developed and effective communication skills, written and verbal
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties and responsibilities may change with or without notice.
* Bachelor of Science degree with a major in a biological or related science AND 4+ years of experience in developing 3D culture systems
* Master of Science degree with a major in a biological or related science AND 2+ years of experience in developing 3D culture systems
* Ph.D. with a focus in biological or related science AND 1+ years of experience in developing 3D culture systems
Attribute Requirements :
* Leader - demonstrate leadership skills
* Serve as a role model of professionalism in attitude and actions
* Serve as subject matter expert on teams and committees as requested
* Team Builder
* Problem solver - able to make well-informed, sound decisions
* Troubleshooter - able to assess day-to-day lab anomalies related to equipment, reagents, and data and act appropriately
* Highly organized, detail-oriented, accurate and thorough
* Well-developed and effective communication skills
* Verbal scientific aptitude
* Communicate effectively with team and management, keeping them informed of relevant information
* Written documentation
* Maintain a repository of required documentation including completed copies of project initiation records, key decisions, updates, research data, regulatory submissions
Travel Requirements - None
Mandatory COVID 19 Vaccination Policy