The Environmental Health and Safety Technician is expected to bring knowledge and experience in concepts, practices and, regulations within the EH&S field to play an integral role in the K2 Pittsburg EH&S team.Inspection and Audit
Reporting and Recordkeeping
- Plans, organizes, schedules and conducts inspections of facilities, work areas and equipment.
- Monitors site conditions, practices, and procedures for compliance with regulatory and site requirements.
- Conduct audits of permitting processes (confined space, safe work, hot work, line breaking, etc).
- Conduct audits of tank and pipeline labeling and recommend corrective action, as needed.
- Selects and implements corrective action and follows-up to ensure proper action has been taken.
- Operate, maintain, certify, inspect, calibrate and oversee installation of safety equipment.
- Performs routine occupational health surveys/sampling for exposure potential and regulatory compliance.
- Uses/updates an Excel-based compliance calendar for statutory reporting and filings.
- Uses/updates web based Training and Action Item Management tool.
- Serves as a source of information on health and safety issues for Operations/Maintenance. Assists with the development and administration of programs, reports, and training.
- Conduct safety training directed at Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, Laboratory, Administrative, and Management personnel.
- Maintain training records and report training renewal requirements to department managers.
- Conduct site safety indoctrinations for contractors and new employees.
- Perform in field coaching to correct safety behavior deficiencies
Incident Reporting and Investigation
- Participate in the collection, packaging, testing, storing, transporting and/or disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous materials and/or waste.
- Performs weekly, and as applicable, daily inspections of hazardous waste storage area and equipment.
- Maintain manifest files as required by state and federal regulations.
- May assist in the mitigation of hazardous material incidents.
Program Development and Maintenance
- Assist department managers, as needed, with incident reporting and investigation.
- Lead Root Cause Analysis investigations when called for.
- Maintain records of incidents and report trends.
- Review Plant EH&S standards and practices and revise as directed by EH&S Manager.
Perform additional functions as needed related to environmental, health and safety activities while demonstrating safe work practices and avoiding unsafe behaviors. Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.Competencies
Must Have Success Factors
- Effectively communicate, resolve issues then move forward as a team to meet business and customer needs.
- Fluent in English.
- Ability to work at heights, in confined spaces, and climb ladders.
- Able to work for extended periods, outdoors and in all weather conditions.
- Lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Work In a self-directed team environment.
- Demonstrate sound business judgment and set high standards of personal excellence including safe work behaviors, coaching, mentoring others, etc.
Education and/or Experience
- Demonstrate competencies in the areas of: plant operations, plant maintenance, leadership, initiative, teamwork and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Ensure a safe work environment by working safely, complying with and promoting environmental, health and safety standards.
- Desire to learn and improve skills to keep current with developing trends in the environmental, health and safety field.
- Ability to give and receive positive and constructive feedback in a respectful, courteous, civil and professional manner.
Associate degree or higher is preferred.
At least 3 years experience in EH&S and/or Operations experience with a demonstrated safety mindset.
Operations experience in the chemical industry is strongly preferred. Maintenance experience is also an asset.
Industrial Hygiene and the necessary EHS certifications must be obtained as part of the role.
Company DescriptionEliminating Chlorine Transport for Water Treatment in Your Community
K2 Pure Solutions helps provide an answer to eliminating the need to transport chlorine for water purification and disinfection, as well as other industries, by deploying and funding a North American wide network of state-of-the-art facilities utilizing inherently safe technology. K2's facilities will mitigate the potential environmental, security and operational risks associated with the transport of chlorine for water treatment and other industries by producing exceptionally pure bleach, caustic soda and other chlor-alkali related products using only salt, water and electricity in the most economically viable manner.
Ensuring a safe and adequate supply of drinking water at all public water systems, including municipalities, residences, businesses and schools is essential to public health. The treatment and disinfection of drinking water has been described as the greatest health advancement of this millennium. Chlorine has in large part been credited with this since it has become an essential, element fundamentally improving the human condition over the years.
However, transporting chlorine for water purification and disinfection is hazardous and post-9/11, scrutiny on reducing the transport of compounds such as chlorine has increased exponentially. To this extent government and industry has sought alternatives such as bleach, which is as effective as chlorine is for water purification and disinfection. Today, estimates show that more than 200 facilities have converted to technologies such as bleach for water treatment and purification, however, since a major component of bleach is chlorine, producing bleach is still very much reliant on the transport of chlorine; until now.
Utilizing our new, Inherently Safe Technology (IST), K2 Pure produces exceptionally pure, high-quality bleach with nothing but water, inert salt and electricity in a vertically integrated process that eliminates the need to transport chlorine for water purification and disinfection, in any of its forms in your community.