Climate change is one of the biggest problems humanity is facing today. We are an early-stage start-up working on simple, delightful solutions that make a real difference in one of the worst contributing industries: waste.
Why is there so much garbage and why is the status quo for it to end up in the landfill or ocean? What if waste could be prevented by first being turned into something useful and delightful?
Chewie Labs is a soon-to-be launched climate tech start-up focused on eliminating waste, which results in ~5% of global carbon emissions and daily+ pain points in the home.
Chewie's culture is rooted in science, creativity, and taking itself less seriously than the problem. It is a new type of company where sustainability isn't just the side dish-it's the main meal.
Chewie Labs is a soon-to-be launched climate tech start-up focused on eliminating waste. Our first consumer product addresses a daily pain point in the home and a preventable contributor to the global climate crisis.
This role is remote, but will require 20% travel.
In the State and Local Policy Lead role you will…
- Collaboratively craft Company's state and local policy strategy, focused on ensuring policymakers and regulators are aware of the benefits of the company's business offerings and are creating appropriate policy/regulatory frameworks to support eliminating waste and the circular economy
- Monitor and analyze state and local policy issues relevant to solid waste, agriculture, and climate
- Develop and implement strategies to communicate policy positions to key constituencies across various state and local jurisdictions., including advocating and lobbying before state legislatures and agencies, and at the local level
- Identify obstacles to delivering Company mission within existing regulatory framework and make recommendations to Company to determine opportunities and strategy to influence positive outcomes
- Work with trade association, industry groups, non-profits, and other allies to promote and build support for Company's policy positions at the state and local level
- Review and draft legislative and regulatory language
- Create vision and develop cross-regulatory strategies to influence key outcomes to drive economic incentives for customers
- Hire and manage contract lobbyist and other consultants as necessary
- Successfully balance the relationship building aspect of policy work with substantive policy expertise and advocacy on our mission critical issues
- Provide insight about the state and local policy and political dynamics to Company HQ.
- Support Company's corporate sustainability work by managing cross functional work stream to align data collection, reporting, and external messaging
Ideally you'll have…
- 8+ years of policy experience working on issues relating to climate, solid waste, and/or agriculture, preferably with first-hand experience working with a private sector company
- Direct experience working with or in state and/or local government experience in program management or operations related roles
- Strong political acumen
- Experience developing and executing multi-state issue advocacy campaigns
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Demonstrated experience effectively engaging a diverse group of stakeholders
- Detail oriented, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Multi-state network of elected officials, and state and local agency contacts and staff
- Ability to integrate public policy with business strategy
- Experience managing, leading and collaborating with an ability to build and maintain productive internal and external relationships
- Track record of running and leading operational projects/process improvement implementations
- Experience working in a high-growth, dynamic environment
For your awareness, we have been requiring that all employees and visitors who come into our offices verify that they are fully vaccinated with respect to COVID-19. Of course we are open to discussing accommodations where legally required, such as for medical or religious reasons. If you need to discuss accommodations or better understand this requirement, please let me know. Otherwise, please prepare to provide verification of your vaccination.