We are looking for a motivated Senior Biologist/Project Manager with a strong wetland and/or botanical background to join our growing team! This is a full-time, salaried position. Location is flexible within the Bay Area and Sacramento area.
In this role, you'll manage and coordinate projects, lead and conduct biological & botanical fieldwork/surveys, oversee deliverables and provide QA/QC, oversee permit assessments, and prepare reports to support project needs. You will provide senior guidance on botanical surveys, wetland delineations, impact analysis, and permitting strategy.
To be successful in this role, you are confident, able to provide senior guidance and solve complex issues, an excellent communicator with proven success in negotiating and collaborating with multiple stakeholders, a self-starter who can work with minimal supervision/guidance, have a growth mindset and are enthusiastic about environmental protection and working in a collaborative and positive environment.
The selected candidate will have a strong wetlands background, preferably with a Professional Wetland Scientist certification, or equivalent experience/certification. In addition, they will work with the leadership team to assist with staff trainings and mentorship and may also support special projects/initiatives, depending on company need.
Work will be both in the field and in-office. Regular travel, including overnight travel, will be required. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Lead and perform delineations of wetlands and waters to determine the limits of federal and state jurisdiction; maintain current knowledge of wetlands and waters regulations and agency requirements. Use technical expertise to assess wetlands and waters, including complex situations, and provide strategies and recommendations to avoid and minimize impacts.
- Prepare and provide senior review of wetland delineation reports to support permitting packages. This includes providing feedback and coaching to staff to provide high quality deliverables. Prepare and provide senior review of other biology team deliverables, including but not limited to daily monitoring reports, preconstruction survey reports, site walk reports, biological constraints reports, ESA biological assessments, restoration, mitigation, and monitoring plans and reports.
- Conduct & lead technical field work such as wetland assessments, special status wildlife and botanical surveys, and vegetation mapping.
- Perform environmental compliance monitoring for construction projects.
- Assist with the interpretation of current local, state, and federal regulations.
- As Project Manager, coordinate with project field teams to schedule and execute biological fieldwork in accordance with S2S's standards and project requirements.
- Ensure work is performed within the assigned constraints (i.e., budget and schedule) at the project and program levels.
- Assist Biology Program leadership in the preparation of project proposals as assigned.
- Assist the Biology Director, Supervisor, and/or the Program Manager with special projects/initiatives that will improve systems & functions within the department and increase team efficiency.
- MS or equivalent years' experience in Biology, Environmental Science, Ecology, or related field
- 7-10+ years of relevant industry or resource agency experience
- Possesses a wetland certification or specialized training in wetland delineations. At least 5 years of experience conducting delineations of wetlands and waters and preparing delineation reports to support permitting packages. Experience in Arid West Region and Western Mountains, Valleys, and Coast Region
- At least 5 years relevant experience managing complex projects and authoring technical reports listed above
- Extensive knowledge of California's biological resources with a strength in botany and wetland ecology
- Experience managing communications and deliverables required for obtaining Lake or Streambed Alteration Agreements (LSAA) (Fish and Game Code Section 1602), Clean Water Act Section 401 Water Quality Certifications, and Clean Water Act Section 404 Permits
- Strong understanding of Federal ESA, California ESA, CEQA, and NEPA and experience preparing and implementing permitting requirements
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as confidence in dealing with clients, regulators, and team members
- Self-starter, solution oriented, and a collaborative team member who can provide senior guidance
- Excellent writing and technical editing skills, with advanced experience in Microsoft Office applications
- Track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, management, and client.
- Willingness and ability to travel when needed and to work fluctuating and/or long hours as necessary
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation
WHO WE ARE
- MS or PhD in Biology, Wildlife Biology, Ecology, or related field
- Certified Professional Wetland Scientist (or conducted at least 30 wetland delineations)
- Experience working at other environmental consulting firms and with utilities and federal clients
- Experience conducting and designing surveys for listed species and their habitats, reviewing large/complex projects for potential impacts to sensitive species
- Demonstrates continuous improvement mindset through workshops, educational units, or classes
- Member of organizations or boards within the environmental sector
- Current/previous USFWS 10(a)(1)(A) or CDFW MOU permit holder (or worked under another permit as an Authorized Individual) is a plus and CDFW Scientific Collecting Permit holder is a plus.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification a plus
- Experience with Wildnote is a plus
Surf To Snow Environmental Resource Management (S2S) is a full-service environmental consulting firm that supports Clients and other strategic partners in all major lines of business, general construction, including electric transmission, gas transmission, power generation, distribution/facilities support, environmental permitting, and site restoration projects. Founded in 2008, we are a California-based disabled veteran-owned business. With a strong technical background and the ability to be flexible and responsive to our clients' needs, S2S is uniquely qualified to provide a multitude of environmental services to our clients while helping to meet diverse regulatory requirements. S2S provides planning, permitting, project management, compliance monitoring, stormwater, and site restoration services that result in the successful, timely, on-budget completion of a project while meeting regulatory requirements and preserving the surrounding ecosystem. http://www.s2serm.com
- Dental, Heath, Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- 11 paid company holidays per year
- 401K contribution matching
Interested in S2S but this position isn't quite right for you? Check out our website for more opportunities!