Science Systems and Applications Inc (SSAI) is seeking an Education and Outreach Specialist to develop and lead a series of virtual climate communication courses for the Earth to Sky partnership (ETS). This is a full-time contractor position with benefits working alongside NASA civil servants and other NASA contractors. Minimal domestic travel is a requirement for this position. Travel is expected to be less than 10% annually.
When Earth to Sky brings together NASA climate scientists and place-based interpreters, amazing things happen. Interpreters develop programs linking the latest climate science to issues at their sites. Scientists discover new and more effective ways to communicate their research. Working side by side, they help a wide variety of audiences discover nuanced climate stories and reasons for hope. Join our team to create engaging professional development experiences that help interpreters worldwide connect to global climate science and get the support they need to craft impactful products and programs. The keystone of your work will be the development of a new virtual climate change communication course based on successful Earth to Sky methodology.
Receiving direction from the ETS lead and support from the rest of the team, this position will:
- Develop and deliver professional development in virtual formats for interpreters and informal educators;
- Develop and deliver professional development in virtual formats for ETS coaches;
- Devise and implement practices to promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and access for the ETS community;
- Recommend improvements to the ETS professional development methodology in both virtual and in person formats, incorporating results from evaluation;
- Participate, support, and contribute to NASA education/outreach community efforts;
- Facilitate collaborative work on science communication/education efforts between NASA and land management agencies;
- Help interpreters build collaborative relationships with scientists at NASA/NPS/USFWS/NOAA;
- Research relevant science and interpretation content and provide it to the ETS community via the ETS web presence and mailing list;
- Support the work of the Earth to Sky team, including nurturing the ETS national and regional communities of practice, supporting the work of ETS regional leaders, assisting with the development and facilitation of in person ETS courses, and participating in virtual and in person conference events.
- Undergraduate degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in interpretation, environmental education, or place-based informal education, or 2 years experience with a related master's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of adult learning educational methods such as andragogy and self-directed learning
- Knowledge of and experience with the NPS and/or National Association for Interpretation professional interpretation methodology
- Experience in a frontline place-based interpretation and/or place-based informal education role
- Ability to work independently from project leadership
- Strong skills in interpersonal, oral, and written communications
- US Citizenship required.
- Advanced degree in education, science education/communication, science, or a related discipline, or 5 additional years of experience in interpretation, environmental education, or informal education
- Experience working at a federal and/or state land management agency
- Education or experience applying training needs assessments to guide professional development efforts
- Education or experience in instructional design theory and training delivery methods
- Education or experience in the delivery of in-person, virtual, and blended training events, especially for interpreters
- Education or experience in the effective use of interactive digital delivery and collaboration tools for participant learning (such as breakout rooms, polls, and reflection time)
- Education or experience in the development of training evaluation strategies and analysis
- Experience in collaborative efforts, contributing to a team to accomplish science communication/interpretation/education or training
- Knowledge of Earth/Earth Systems Science
- Experience in developing, coordinating and implementing interpretation and public outreach products and programs about Earth and/or Space science
- Experience engaging underserved populations
- Experience with the Earth to Sky training methodology
- Experience maintaining and updating a website or content management system
- Experience in program/project management
About Earth to Sky:
Earth to Sky (ETS) is a partnership between NASA and the National Park Service (NPS) which enables place-based interpreters and informal environmental educators to access and use NASA resources in their work. ETS provides professional development in climate communication and other Earth science communication, and nurtures a supportive community of practice numbering over 1,500 individuals across the country. The ETS professional development methodology rests upon two decades of practice, input from NASA, NPS, and USFWS trainers, and extensive evaluation. ETS also serves a vital role as a liaison between NASA and the interpretation communities of the NPS, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), and other land management organizations at federal, state, and local levels. Learn more about Earth to Sky at https://earthtosky.org.
EOE, including disability/vets Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and use hands to touch, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk and hear and occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.