Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Reports to: Volunteer Manager
Full Time (Salaried); Exempt
About Austin Parks Foundation
Austin Parks Foundation (APF) is dedicated to partnering with our community to enhance people's lives by making our public parks, trails and green spaces better through volunteerism, innovative programming, advocacy and financial support. A non-profit established in 1992, APF fills the city's funding and resource gap needed to develop, maintain and enhance the area's over 300 parks, trails and green spaces.
The APF Volunteer Coordinator facilitates projects with volunteer groups throughout the year, including APF's two largest annual signature events, It's My Park Day Spring and Fall, as well as public, corporate, and civic group workdays. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Volunteer Manager.
We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about caring for the outdoors and empowers others to connect with and steward their local green spaces. The ideal candidate possesses strong skill sets working with diverse populations to develop vibrant, service-minded communities and healthy ecosystems.
- Coordinates volunteer park workdays for civic groups and monthly open volunteer days and assists Volunteer Manager to execute corporate park workdays.
- Reviews It's My Park Day project submissions, meets project leaders on site as needed to evaluate and approve proposed tasks, coordinates t-shirt allocations and trash plan for the event.
- Maintains the process and plans for volunteer recruitment, retention, and appreciation.
- Facilitates programming around ongoing volunteer opportunities, training and educational as well as park activation events.
- Responsible for lending out and recovering tools from APF tool warehouse.
- Responsible for APF vehicle maintenance.
- Work with APF team to execute Austin City Limits' Greening program.
- Supervises and works alongside part-time/temporary paid Project Leaders.
- Works with Volunteer Manager and Community Engagement Manager to engage more volunteers from communities where projects are occurring.
- Maintains strong relationships with City of Austin Parks & Recreation Department, Watershed Protection Department staff and community partners.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Excellent communications, organizational, interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Attention to detail and building/maintaining processes.
- Experience utilizing customer relationship management databases and/or volunteer management platforms.
- Trustworthy, dependable, flexible and hardworking.
- Confidence speaking to a diverse group of constituents and to large groups.
- Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite on Dell computers.
- Ability to accommodate frequent site visits to various locations around the city.
- Ability to operate a truck with a valid driver's license.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent work experience; minimum 2 years' experience in volunteer coordination, community outreach, project management or suitable replacement.
- Experience in Environmental Sciences, Ecology, Land Management or related content area.
- Familiarity with the City of Austin's green spaces and natural environment.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Physical Demand and Work Environment
- Hybrid work situation, with the expectation to be at volunteer project sites often.
- Work hours are typical business hours Monday through Friday with at least one Saturday morning per month. Occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Comfortable working in outdoor environments performing manual labor regularly.
- Sitting or standing at a desk, operating a computer in an indoor office setting.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs, and walk on uneven surfaces for extended periods of time.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Equal Opportunities CommitmentW
e value collaboration, innovation, dependability and inclusiveness. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
APF offers a robust and attractive benefits package that includes:
- Health insurance, dental, vision, and disability.
- A 401k with 5% company match.
- Open Paid Time Off program for sick time, personal time and vacation.
- Approximately 15 Paid Holidays including: Martin Luther King Jr Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day and the Friday following, Christmas Eve through New Year's Day.
- A laptop for Foundation purposes.
Salary Range Disclaimer
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to experience, certifications and credentials. The range listed is just one component of APF's total compensation package for employees.
Salary Range Transparency
$50,000 - $55,000 USD per year
No phone calls please.
Powered by JazzHR