Precision Conservation Management (PCM) is a farmer service program led by the Illinois Corn Growers Association & the Illinois Soybean Association in partnership with over 30 other conservation leaders. The mission of PCM is to facilitate greater adoption of conservation practices on Midwest agricultural fields by investigating the impacts of conservation practice adoption on farm financial stability. The Precision Conservation Specialist will provide technical assistance to enrolled cooperators in the Precision Conservation Management program. The Precision Conservation Specialist will work in conjunction with program partners (PepsiCo, Bunge, & others) to educate cooperators about conservation practices and the IL Nutrient Loss Reduction Strategy. This person will be responsible for helping farmers in Champaign, Ford, Vermillion, Douglas, Coles, Edgar, and select areas of the Central IL PCM region to secure financial and technical assistance to adopt conservation practices and/or expand their use of conservation practices. PCM Specialists also have reporting responsibilities to PCM partners demonstrating success in expending cost-dollars provided by the partners. Additional expectations assisting program partners is required from time to time. PCM Specialists present participating farmers with customized reports summarizing the sustainability and financial impacts of their current farming operation and generating environmental and financial comparisons with other farming practices. Contractual Duties and responsibilities
- Support up to 100 farmers within the PCM program as they work to adopt conservation practices.
- Promote PCM and the implementation of specific conservation practices.
- Represent the project and demonstrate strong management and administrative responsibility.
- Collaborate with and maintain open communication with the PCM Director, PCM Operations Manager on the implementation of PCM objectives.
- Identify opportunities and challenges in meeting PCM objectives and work with other PCM staff including analysts, Specialists, data collectors, and partners, to meet goals.
- Conduct and coordinate internal and external communications.
- Coordinate with other PCM Specialists and partners to conduct farmer meetings and trainings.
- Maintain up-to-date program records.
- Coordinate and execute strategic and programmatic activities of the PCM program.
- Provide content for PCM newsletters and website.
- Duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree related to agricultural management, production agriculture, agronomy, or ag economics required.
- Ability to prioritize a heavy and varied workload, deliver results on a timeline, and provide regular of activities/achievements.
- Willingness to travel extensively within the multi-county area to meet farmers at their homes, shops, or fields.
- Proficient with basic computer software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work with farmers and manage professional relationships.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Understanding of current farming practices, nitrogen application techniques, and hypoxia zone concerns.
- Position will require regular local travel, and some regional travel within the Midwest.
- Requires in-field work to collect data and samples in various weather and physical environments.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.