Scismic is supporting the growth of a biotech company in Brooklyn, NY who is seeking a highly motivated individual to work within the Cell Modeling Group to help expand the capacity of their Genetic Engineering Service! A competitive candidate should have demonstrated both scientific creativity and managerial ability to plan, prioritize, and assist their team to execute projects on time and budget. They should be a detail-oriented, problem solver who is able to communicate effectively with colleagues to seek solutions during the course of projects. Job Responsibilities:
Minimum Education and Experience Needed:
- The position will be responsible for the execution of multiple concurrent projects targeting mouse pluripotent stem cells (PSCs) to produce RNAi and KI/KO models using current gene editing techniques. They will report to the Director of Cell Modeling and work closely with members of Genotyping and R&D teams.
- This position requires a candidate with excellent time management and planning skills, possess the ability to operate on defined timelines, compile data reports and deliver correctly targeted PSCs for internal projects and external clients and collaborators.
- In addition, to overseeing delivery on projects in our company's RNAi and CRISPR/Cas9 pipelines, the candidate will work with the Directors and GES members to help establish and streamline an integrated platform for creating mouse ESC-based, human PSC-based and organoid models including generation of targeting vectors, gene-editing tools and genotyping assays for use by other GES team members.
- The candidate will also to carry out standard shRNA validation assays.
- Candidates will also have oversight of the maintenance of cell culture laboratory equipment, instruments, tracking inventory and expenses and ordering supplies.
- Successful candidates will be part of an innovative and creative team within the Genetic Engineering Service and have the opportunity to apply their creativity to our core vision.
- BS/MS in Biology, Biotechnology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Genetics, or a related field
- Minimum 3 years of research experience in an academic, governmental or industry research lab
- Minimum of 1 year of Project Management
- Have a minimum of 3 years of experience directly culturing and targeting mouse and human cell lines either via lipid-based transfection or electroporation
- Additional experience growing stem cell lines such as mESC and/or hiPSC is advantageous
- Be comfortable working in BSL2 hoods and maintaining sterile cell culture workflows
- Able to work in a fast paced environment and coordinate efforts with the team to meet deadlines
- Be an experimentalist with experience analyzing data and preparing clear scientific reports
- Have attention to details, impeccable record-keeping skills and an ability to create SOPs
- Be driven to improve technical workflows, documentation and human processes to maintain, project integrity, traceability and reproducibility to prevent critical project failures
- Experience with semi-automation and/or high-throughput image acquisition platforms a plus
- Routinely perform molecular biology techniques such as genomic and plasmid mini-prep DNA extraction, PCR and DNA sequence analyses.
- Able to operate key equipment (FACS and fluorescent microscopes) and proficiency in supporting software including Microsoft Office, VectorNTI, SnapGene etc.
- Have a working knowledge of RNA interference, shRNA and/or siRNA, as well as the use of CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing and homologous recombination to study gene function.
- Must be fluent working with MS software, and will receive instruction on Monday Project Management software
- Have excellent written and oral communication skill to report on service related tasks
- Interact with all individuals in productive ways to enhance our goals and core vision.
- Show respect and maintain a professional attitude to all lab members and outside collaborators.
- Committed to help train more junior technicians in key techniques and SOPs.
Please note additional specialized training will be provided.What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Collaboration with exceptional scientists
- Superb opportunity for a career in industry
- $65,000.00 - $72,000.00 per year