At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.Position Summary:
The BMS Immuno-Oncology and Cell Therapy Thematic Research Center is dedicated to research supporting development of novel autologous and allogeneic cellular therapies based on two distinct and complementary platforms - Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) and Engineered T Cell Receptor (eTCR) technologies. Our goal is to revolutionize medicine by re-engaging the body's immune system to treat cancer.
The IO CT Discovery team is seeking a talented and highly motivated individual to lead the Synthetic Biology, Molecular Design and Delivery Team within research, and to expand our understanding around molecular design and engineering, viral and non-viral vector design and delivery, molecular biology and gene delivery as it relates to adoptive T cell therapies. The candidate will lead and work closely with a team of scientists involved in constructing novel molecular constructs, gene and protein regulation moieties and viral vectors, and developing innovative gene transfer technologies. The successful candidate will work directly with cross-functional teams and project teams to support discovery, preclinical and clinical programs. This position is in a highly collaborative, innovate and rapidly evolving environment and interfaces with multiple teams and functions across the company. Our team's overall goal is to modulate T cells and improving the overall therapeutic potential of cellular therapies for BMS' Research and Early Development PipelineRoles and Responsibility:
- Develop molecular design strategy and tools for studying the molecular fates and regulation of genes once delivered into primary T cells.
- Develop scientific strategy for evaluating various viral/non-viral vectors and novel gene engineering concepts in preclinical model systems and for adoptive cell therapy products
- Advance our understanding around engineering gene modalities for adoptive T cell therapies and to further T cell function with novel molecular entity design and function/regulation
- Ability to attract, retain, manage and develop/mentor a world-class molecular and vector design/delivery research team and building a culture of innovation that cultivates teamwork and optimizes performance.
- Ensure that appropriate processes are maintained to deliver molecular/viral constructs to Discovery, Preclinical and Translational teams in a timely manner to support programs
- Manage external collaborations with academic and contract research laboratories if relevant
- Develop and maintain working relationship with contract laboratories and relevant academic collaborators
- Lead the IO CT group in maintaining current awareness in area of expertise; enhance the scientific credibility of BMS through contributions to the scientific literature (publications/presentations)
- Represents the company both internally and externally with both the scientific and business communities.
- Actively seeks product and/or technology alliances with appropriate academic, government, and industry partners
- PhD or non-PhD with a degree in virology, molecular biology, immunology or cell biology with at least 15 + years of relevant pharmaceutical/biotechnology experience
- A very strong foundation in molecular biology and vector design, immunology and viral/non-viral vectors (particularly lentiviral and adenoviral vectors), especially in the area of Adoptive Cell therapy
- Actively maintains current awareness and high scientific profile in areas of expertise
- Excellent managerial and leadership skills and interest in developing talent, especially for an innovative team with emphasis on mentoring and career development for the team
- Strong interpersonal capabilities and ability to build networks and collaborations internally and externally
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated in a team environment
- Critical understanding of the landscape of molecular technologies and ability to provide a vision for the team that enables us to develop the appropriate products that are efficacious and cost effective
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.