Job DescriptionOrganization Description:
Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.Internship Description:
This internship is UNPAID, but eligible for academic or course credit if approved by your educational institution. Irvine's Animal Care and Exhibits Coordinator is primarily responsible for overseeing the care and maintenance of our education/exhibit animals (reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, mammals, and birds of prey) and interactive exhibits. As an intern, you would be assisting the Coordinator in the daily duties of the position, including but not limited to:
- Feed animals daily.
- Keep exhibit enclosures presentable to the public.
- Maintenance of lighting, filters and pumps.
- Upkeep of live plants in exhibits.
- Keep daily logs of animal feeding, cleaning, health, and activity.
- Provide exercise and enrichment for the animals.
- Check exhibits daily, clean the exhibit hall and maintain interactive exhibits.
- Cordially interact with public and be able to give impromptu information about Irvine Nature Center, our animals, and exhibits.
- Assist staff in live animal handling.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Respond to public requests for information.
- Communicate with Coordinator and Naturalists about changes in animal behavior, problems with exhibits, etc
- College sophomore through graduate pursuing a major in biology, animal science, education or related field.
- Experience handling and/or desire to work with animals of all varieties.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently.
- Position is available from January - May.
- Flexible; Preferably 10 - 12 hours per week.
Please fill out the Volunteer Application on our website at https://www.explorenature.org/get-involved/volunteer/ before sending your resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator, Maggie Winkler, at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org.