Our client is an early stage, venture-funded gene-therapy company. We have a breakthrough technology for safe gene insertion into the genome. The implications of this technology are enormous and could potentially disrupt the gene therapy landscape. While the company is at an early stage, the underlying technology is well validated and attracting considerable investor and pharma interest. The company is working to advance the technology and move therapeutic indications into the clinic. We have a great work culture and a brilliant set of employees.JOB DESCRIPTION
This role is to join our Molecular Biology and Biochemistry team where you will help advance the design, characterization, and improvement of critical molecular components of our technology. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Generates hypotheses and implements effective approaches to test them.
- Designs and produces biological molecules to improve stability or functional performance
- Develops processes and assays to express, purify and characterize biomolecules
- Executes experiments with independence and technical excellence.
- Analyzes and interprets experimental findings thoroughly and critically
- Presents findings at team meetings and participates in discussions to develop new ideas
- Collaborates closely with the cell biology and animal model teams to provide molecules for in vitro and in vivo evaluations.
- Trains junior members on the team on new protocols and techniques.
- Stay current with relevant scientific literature and apply new techniques or practices to improve quality and efficiency.
- PhD in life science or related fields ideally with 2+ years postdoctoral/industry experience
- Proficient in molecular cloning approaches including restriction enzymes, Gateway, and Gibson cloning.
- Experienced in performing RNA/DNA extractions from cells or tissues. Familiar with nucleic acids analyses such as gel electrophoresis, PCR, qPCR, and sequencing.
- Experience in RNA production using in vitro transcription would be a plus.
- Experience with protein expression, protein purification using FPLC, SDS-PAGE, and Western Blot analyses.
- Familiarity with developing assays to characterize nucleic acid binding enzymes such as polymerases and reverse transcriptases would be desirable.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and meticulous record keeping.
- Excellent organizational, time, and data management skills, and ability to handle multiple responsibilities and work under tight time constraints.
- Excellent perception and evaluation abilities, as well as a strong attention to detail
- Possesses intellectual curiosity and motivation for continued learning and improvement.
- Adaptability and desire to be a team player that thrives in a fast-moving and results oriented startup environment.
- Unquestioned integrity and business ethics. Always leads by example. Demonstrates a firm commitment to our values and culture. A positive attitude and source of energy to all employees. Establishes trust and credibility with every individual he/she works with at all levels of the company.
- Creative and critical intellect who thinks ‘laterally'; generates ideas/opportunities and turns them into successful results. Finds a way to say ‘yes' when others would say ‘no'.
- Highly decisive, action oriented, and a great team player.
- An open, direct communication style with a positive attitude.
- Comfortable, adaptive, and productive in an early stage rapidly evolving organization. Able to grow to a large, vibrant organization.