At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.Senior Scientist, Protein Homeostasis Cell Biology
BMS is a leader in the discovery and development of novel therapies that exploit targeted protein degradation. The characterization of these induced protein complexes in the cellular context is critical to our protein homeostasis (PH) research, as this knowledge will enable our understanding of mechanisms of action that will enable compound design and predictions about new biological targets for our drug discovery efforts. A deep focus in Oncology, with additional efforts in other therapeutic areas of unmet need, places our research squarely within projects of intense biomedical interest.Job Description
The Scientist will perform and lead research within a talented group of Cell Biologists and will focus their experience and expertise in the PH field. There is opportunity to have a real-time, high-value impact on the ongoing projects by, for example, uncovering cellular mechanisms of action and identifying target degrons. As well, the Scientist will chart the future of our PH research efforts by investigating novel targets and strategies in the cellular context. The Scientist will interface with Structural Biology, Chemistry, Proteomics, and Biochemistry/Biophysics scientists that are dedicated to our PH projects. There are additional opportunities to interact across our Cell Biology community of scientists at other BMS sites. We are seeking a passionate scientist who strives to uncover impactful mechanistic insights to benefit a burgeoning portfolio of PH targets, with the goal of bringing novel therapies to patients.Job Responsibilities
- Plan, execute, and report on Molecular and Cellular Biology studies for CRBN E3 Ligase Modulators (CELMoDs) and Ligand Directed Degraders (LDDs)
- Lead Molecular and Cellular Biology efforts pursuing novel PH targets and ligase ligands
- Represent the PH Molecular and Cellular Biology Team at project level and departmental meetings
- Lead and participate in departmental initiatives and represent PH Molecular and Cellular Biology on cross-functional initiatives / work streams / taskforce
- Work with managers and peers to develop innovative Molecular and Cellular Biology methodologies and approaches to enable drug discovery in the PH field
Bachelor's Degree and 7+ years of academic / industry experience
Master's Degree and 5+ years of academic / industry experience
Ph.D. and 2+ years of academic/ industry experience Preferred Qualifications
Career Development Opportunities:
- A PhD and postdoctoral work with relevant training in Molecular and Cellular Biology with at 2 + years of experience in an academic and/or industrial setting innovating strategies to investigate molecular mechanisms and/or characterize cellular signaling pathways
- In-depth knowledge of current practices, techniques, instrumentation, and issues for answering key Molecular and Cellular Biology questions; a focus on PH pathways and enzymes is a plus
- Demonstrated expertise in Molecular and Cellular assay development, with working knowledge of proteomics, protein expression/purification, and biochemical and biophysical assays
- Strong written and oral communication skills to deliver scientific results and presentations clearly
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a multidisciplinary team and inspire mutually beneficial collaborations to drive the development of PH therapeutics
- Opportunities to manage and grow a group of scientists over time
- Opportunities to learn new scientific skills through active collaborations across the organization
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.