DescriptionEmployment Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Wage: A competitive annual salary of $60,000 - $75,000 base pay
Reports To: Senior Legislative Manager
Position Location: Sacramento, California
Work Schedule: We currently work two (2) days a week in office and three (3) days remotely
Vaccine Policy: We require all staff to be fully vaccinated
Highly respected organizations, California Environmental Voters (EnviroVoters), and EnviroVoters Education Fund, are excited to launch a search for a Legislative Affairs Manager to join our dynamic, fun, and high-performing team!
We are looking for candidates who can successfully organize policy priorities and manage a full team. The ideal candidate will be able to work efficiently and with a positive attitude in a fast-paced environment-one that requires flexibility as we embark on new initiatives and grow our staff.
The Legislative Affairs Manager serves as one of California Environmental Voter's main advocates working on the frontlines of holding the California State Legislature accountable to passing globally significant policy change that is needed to solve the climate crisis, as well as working to combat the corporate polluter agenda to delay climate action. Additionally, the Legislative Affairs Manager will build strong relationships with Legislators and key ally organizations, help shape EnviroVoters policy agenda, manage a dynamic team of passionate policy advocates and changemakers within the legislative affairs team, help to train future leaders and build out our team, develop strategies to hold elected leaders accountable to acting boldly on climate, and partner with stakeholders, coalitions, and networks to build a collective vision for change. This position will occasionally travel to attend meetings in Oakland and Los Angeles.
WHO WE ARE
We believe this moment requires transformative change.
The climate crisis is here. And Black, Indigenous and people of color have been bearing the burden of our pollution-based economy for generations. We have the solutions to stop climate change, but we lack the political will to do it at the rate and scale that's needed.
EnviroVoters exists to build the political will and power to solve the climate crisis, use climate action to advance justice, and create a global roadmap. To protect our water, land, air, and our most vulnerable communities, we organize voters, elect and train candidates, and hold lawmakers accountable for bold policy change.
Our vision is to build resilient, healthy, thriving communities, and create a democracy and economy that is just and sustainable for all.
EnviroVoters Education Fund, EnviroVoters's 501(c)3 sister organization, works through programs focused on voter engagement and mobilization, issue advocacy, legislative accountability, and research and opinion polling to provide the public, policymakers, and environmental advocates with the resources they need to make California's air, water and natural resources cleaner and greener through the democratic process. For more information, please visit www.envirovotersedfund.org
The work of EnviroVoters and EnviroVoters Ed Fund to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social, and environmental justice. Engaging Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
OUR CORE VALUES
Relationships are at the heart of our culture and our core values enable us to build ones that are strong, trusting, empowering, and thriving. Therefore, in our everyday interactions with each other and our partners, we strive to act with Equity, Courage, Integrity, Compassion, Impact, and Learning.
WORK SCHEDULE AND VACCINE POLICY
A focus on relationships also informs our work schedule. We believe time together in person is critical to team building. To that end, we currently work two days a week in person with the possibility of increasing to three in the future. As such, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Legislative Affairs Manager is critical to our overall organizational success and will be a pivotal individual that will contribute to the fight for climate justice in California. If you are looking for an exciting and innovative place to work to bring your passion, energy, and ideas, please take a look at the list of responsibilities and qualifications below.
* Serve as one of EnviroVoters' main liaisons with the legislature.
* Make recommendations and provide valued input on positions that EnviroVoters should take on legislation and policy issues.
* Work with the Senior Legislative Manager to develop and implement EnviroVoters' legislative accountability campaigns and strategy.
* Work with the legislative team to strategically plan and budget to achieve annual goals.
* Work with the EnviroVoters Communications and Organizing teams to develop and implement strategies that amplify our efforts to hold elected leaders accountable, advocate for priority policies, apply public pressure to advance a climate justice agenda, and build public support through socializing policy solutions with voters.
* Work with the Senior Legislative Manager to manage the legislative affairs team to ensure all EnviroVoters and EnviroVoters Education Fund legislative and policy efforts are consistently aligned and are working to meet the organizations' strategic direction.
* Manage the legislative team to effectively and strategically advance the organization's legislative and policy agenda and to coordinate coalitions and networks that EnviroVoters' participates in or facilitates.
* Assist in the production of the annual EnviroVoters Scorecard to provide voters with an invaluable tool to understand California Legislator's voting records on climate and environmental legislation and to hold elected leaders accountable.
* Provide timely and relevant updates to the EnviroVoters Program Committee, prepare materials, and participate in committee meetings.
* Represent the organization in an array of coalitions, networks, and groups including the administration and elected officials, the nonprofit community, political community, funders, and the press as needed.
* Occasionally serve as a spokesperson for the organization.
* Assist in writing communications to the organization's membership to keep our supporters and members updated on important climate legislation and opportunities for the public to engage.
* Support the implementation of the EnviroVoters Education Fund Green California Program, a network of over 100 environmental, environmental justice, and health organizations who work together to pass climate and environmental policy priorities, which includes an annual Advocacy Day event which is a powerful event where advocates come together to advocate for collective priority legislation.
* Partner with other staff to facilitate internal briefings on complex issues within the environmental community.
* Conduct targeted education, outreach and relationship-building activities with policymakers in coordination and cooperation with EnviroVoters Political, Program and Education Fund staff.
* Other responsibilities as assigned.
To be successful in this job, you must possess the following qualities and experience:
* Minimum 3 years' experience working in the field of local, state, or federal environmental policy or advocacy
* Management experience in a team-oriented workplace
* Organizing and delegating assignments to team members
* Outstanding interpersonal relationship building, employee coaching and development skills
* Planning and development of projects
* Outstanding organizational and leadership skills
* Excellent writing and editing skills
* Ability to manage multiple deadline-driven projects
* Skilled at developing and maintaining relationships with coalition partners
NICE to HAVES
* Has experience working as an advocate with the California Legislature
* Strong desire to manage a growing team
* Strong desire to grow new leaders within the organization
* Has demonstrated experience working with historically excluded low-income communities of color
* Is passionate about climate action and environmental justice
* Has a solid understanding of California politics
* Is committed to engaging Californians in campaigns to elect climate champions and to hold elected officials accountable to acting on climate
* Is willing and able to work in a fast-paced work environment
* Exercises sound independent judgment and decision making
* Thrives on change, innovation, and teamwork
* Has a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or equivalent experience.
* Fluency in English and Spanish preferred
WHAT ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW
This is an outstanding opportunity for someone looking to make a bold impact on solving the climate crisis and protecting the environment! California Environmental Voters offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and disability coverage; a 401(k)-retirement program with employer match; flexible spending account (FSA) for health care expenses; commuter program; and optional life insurance.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) of this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimal levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will relationship.
We are committed to equity, inclusion, and environmental justice. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we seek to create and sustain a team that reflects the diversity of the state we serve. We welcome applications from individuals from all backgrounds, especially those with experience working with communities most impacted by California's environmental challenges.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply through our careers portal - in case you need it, here is the link. Please note that a cover letter and resume must be provided for consideration and that applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about you! Thank you for your interest in EnviroVoters!
California Environmental Voters and the California Environmental Voters Education Fund are committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is
based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.