You are viewing a preview of this job. Log in or register to view more details about this job.
NextGen America is seeking a dynamic and creative political professional to join our youth organizing program that will engage young people in local and national fights to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity for all Americans, and expand access to the ballot box for young Americans. This role will be focused on managing a volunteer led organizing program, developing political partnerships, budget management, and planning. In Nevada, this effort will focus on organizing young people to run a voter registration program in communities and campuses. This role is remote, but applicants must live in or be willing to relocate to Nevada.
The ideal candidate has a passion for politics and a belief that young people will make the difference in politics. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Remote Position: Yes
Union Position: No
Travel Requirements: 10-15% ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Oversee a volunteer led youth organizing program focused on registering young voters
- Oversee a statewide campus voter engagement program on campuses that will train student volunteers to organize their campus around progressive issues and in electoral campaigns
- Works with National staff team on planning and implementation of program
- Develop and maintain political partnerships with organizations and lawmakers across Nevada
- Serve as chief strategist on local and state issues for Nevada
- Develop and execute campaign plans focus around progressive advocacy, winning elections, and increasing youth vote participation
- Develop and maintain a budget
- Manage in state staff
- Assistance with in-person organizing, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to youth organizing and a passion for organizing young people in Nevada.
- 4+ years of political staff management. Field management a plus.
- Very well organized; excellent written, verbal and presentation communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and outside organizations and be able to multitask without sacrificing quality of work.
- Demonstrated understanding of political climate and issues of Nevada
- Availability to travel on a regular basis
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to foster a cooperative, team-oriented work environment
- Experience with both issue and electoral organizing
- Experience working with coalitions, especially in Nevada
- Experience working with vendors
- Experience managing union staff
- Experience organizing in communities of color and prior training in anti-oppression, equity and inclusion organizing
- Experience working on youth organizing programs
- Experience on one or more campaigns in Nevada at the local or state level
Salary for this position is $90,000. NextGen America also offers a very comprehensive benefits package. ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America is the leading national organization for engaging young people through voter education, registration and mobilization. We invite 18-to-35 year olds - the largest and most diverse generation in American history - into our democracy to ensure our government works for them and to find new solutions to the dire challenges facing our society and the world. Since 2013, NextGen America has registered more than 1.4 million young voters and educated many millions more, delivering more than the margin of victory for progressives in key races and building an electorate that will lead American politics for decades to come.