Position Title: Laboratory / Microbiology Supervisor
Department: Quality Assurance
Reports to: Quality Assurance Manager
The primary duties of this position include the oversight of the Chemistry and Microbiological laboratory to ensure all materials (raw and finished) are tested in a timely and accurate manner. This position will drive accuracy, efficiency, and timeliness of the laboratory functions including the support and development of the SQF (Safe Quality Foods) Code. In addition, the incumbent will provide technical support for customer requests and internal investigations.
* Ability to provide technical guidance in the Quality and Microbiological Laboratory.
* Develops, maintains, and enforces standards and methods for inspection, testing, and evaluation.
* Initial training and annual competency of technicians. Provides timely documentation and plan of action when necessary.
* Audit processes to ensure Technicians are adequately executing work instructions and GLP's for Micro and Quality processes.
* Encourages employee development through cross-training and coach's staff to maximize job performance.
· Manages the internal audit programs. Provides technical direction of subsequent corrective and preventive actions.
· Manages the environmental monitoring program and standards that impact product quality and food safety.
* Monitors and maintains an adequate inventory of supplies in the chemistry and microbiological lab for daily operation. Incumbent influences cost control measures of time and materials.
* Drives the implementation of new instruments, new test procedures and performs verification studies to ensure accuracy.
* Review and lead deviation investigations to closure.
* Actively working to identify and present First Time Quality concerns and develop solutions to prevent reoccurrences.
* Leads and supports investigations of non-conformance to help drive improvement.
* Develops and assists in special technical projects based on company needs.
* Assist the Food Safety & Quality Assurance Team with compliance related activities.
· Manage and assist with the document control program.
* Support, develop, and deliver food safety training to key plant personnel.
* Support the review of records and reporting of errors with corrective actions.
* Supports the trace and mock recall challenges.
* Supports 3rd party, customer, and internal audits.
· This description is not all inclusive and may include other duties as assigned.
· Supports company and departmental KPI goals to achieve common business goals through cooperative alignment with all departments.
· Promote company culture aimed at employee safety, food safety and quality.
· Possess managerial fortitude to deal with critical concerns, develop action plans and communicate effectively to management.
Technical Knowledge Requirements:
* Experience with FSMA, HACCP, SSOP's, Global GAP, Organic, Kosher and GFSI audit standards.
* Tactical knowledge of Lean management for food safety, quality, and continuous improvement.
* Software program proficiency in Microsoft Dynamic AX, SharePoint, Excel (Pivot Tables and Charting), Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
* Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications.
* Experience with RTE herbs and leafy green products will set this candidate apart.
Qualification: Education & Work Experience:
* Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Microbiology, or related discipline.
* 5+ years of progressive food plant experience in a Quality Assurance role that is inclusive of Food Safety and Quality Control.
* HACCP Certified preferred
* PCQI Certified preferred
* Requires knowledge of food safety regulations and quality systems.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Work Physical Demands:
* The work environments described are representative of those an employee will typically encounter while performing the functions of the job, standing, walking, climbing stairs, cold environments, sitting and data entry.
* This is a facility-based responsibility. This is not a remote position.