Are you a results-driven problem-solver, eager to positively change the world? Do you believe that climate change is the biggest issue facing us today? Then the Biomason team needs you. Biomason is the leading company employing biology to produce cement. Since 2012, the company has used microorganisms to grow structural biocement® in ambient temperatures, harnessing the power of biotechnology to reinvent traditional cement and offer a more planet-friendly alternative. Biocement will eliminate 25% of the concrete industry's global carbon emissions by 2030.
Biomason is privately held and headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. For additional information, please go to the company's website at www.biomason.com. We offer a rich benefits package with medical, dental, vision, 401K with employer match, gracious time off, and more!
We are seeking dedicated, passionate, and hard working individuals to become part of our ever-growing team in Research Triangle Park, NC. Join Biomason and help us end the world's dependence on carbon-emitting construction materials. Let's change the way we build.
Biomason is seeking a Chief Scientific Officer. This position will report to the CEO and be responsible for developing and promoting a team culture of innovation for rapid scientific advancement. This position will build upon and execute on the Company's overall scientific strategy and product developments to enable commercial growth. This individual will be a key member of the executive team and will work closely with other members of senior leadership to shape an R&D strategy focused on execution against discovery and development goals. Business acumen and judgment are critical as you will direct the investments with a clear timeline of scientific development for commercialization to support the success of the business.
* Abstract and holistic thinking- proven experience with instituting rigor and structure for solving complex novel scientific challenges
* Ability to motivate and drive execution with multi-disciplinary teams
* Ability to instill in an industrial mindset across diverse backgrounds, experience, and skill sets
* A collective-minded team builder with the prudent ability to fold in external resources when required
* Ability to identify and push opportunities for revenue during the course of technology development
* Able to demonstrate balance between planning and execution, with the proven ability to define a scaffold timeline framework for achieving traction toward defined goals
* Open-minded and able to strategically adapt based on new data and learnings
* Fearlessly motivated by "can do" attitude on the execution of the North Star objective as a guiding principle
* Lead the R&D function to promote a high-performance, results-driven culture through directly building on the decade of learnings of biocement developments
* Establish R&D objectives, operating budgets, timelines, and trial plans through rapid succession leading to learnings and results
* Capable of decomplexing challenges with the balance of material science, chemistry and biological sciences.
* Execute and operationalize the technical vision for commercial applications (here and now, and future)
* Lead the organization scientifically, collaborating with executive leadership, and executing objectives laid forth with the ability to course correct, as needed
* Partner with stakeholders to further define and deliver against the Company's product roadmap
* Evaluate and manage external partners to drive the technology forward
* An active partner with other teams to ensure products are developed and validated in a manner that complies with the company's commercial objectives
* Lead the R&D teams to future Company financing through the achievement of technical milestones
* Recruit world class team members and effectively communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders
* Efficiently leverage and support resources of Biomason's growing Advisory Board
* Responsible for following all safety requirements and ensuring the safety of others
* Advanced degree in science, engineering, biochemistry, materials sciences biotechnology or equivalent field required
* Minimum of 15 years of experience in progressive commercially driven research and development roles, managing cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams on complex projects
* Proven track record of bringing new products through discovery and development to commercialization
* Proven diverse experience and achievements in a technical leadership role in a related field
* Ability to empower and inspire a growing team working on solving novel and complex challenges
* Demonstrated ability to recruit, retain, mentor, and foster an empowered, adaptable scientific team
* Able to build and align R&D structure with strategy, ensuring the flexibility necessary to overcome unforeseen development challenges
Biomason Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. EOE M/F/D/V.