Want to help tackle the plastic pollution and climate change crises? Novoloop is seeking a Formulation Scientist to help create performance polymers from common plastic waste. Imagine turning e-commerce packaging into sports equipment or shoe soles. We'd want to speak with you if you have experience formulating engineering polymers such as polyurethane, polyamide, or others.
This is a full-time on-site position in Menlo Park, CA, with a competitive salary and stock options. Priority will be given to local applicants with approved status for US employment.
What You'll Do
* Independently design and execute lab experiments to develop new or improved TPU polymers, optimize synthesis or purification routes, and characterize final products
* Formulate polyurethanes with additives for targeted end-applications
* Support customer sampling
* Prepare research proposals, batch records, SOPs, reports and presentations; communicate project results to work teams, customers, and management
* Interface with suppliers, contract manufacturers, and contract testing facilities as required
* Contribute ideas aimed at advancing existing methods and technologies or creating new technologies, processes or IP
* Troubleshoot development issues and strive for innovative solutions
* PhD in Organic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry or related field with 2+ years of industry exp, or master's degree with 5+ years of relevant work experience (different combinations of experience and education will be considered)
* Deep expertise in thermoplastic structure-property relationships to achieve desired properties via monomer selection, polymer structure design, and polymer synthesis (preferably with TPU or polyurethane)
* Experience with additive formulation of performance polymers to achieve desired properties (preferably with TPU or polyurethane)
* Experience working with monomeric isocyanates and understanding of its safety precautions
* Practical knowledge or experience with characterization techniques such as NMR, FTIR, GCMS, GPC, TGA, DSC, Instron, etc.
* Experience with polymer processing methods (extrusion, molding, solvent-casting, etc.), and mechanical characterization
The Berkner Group has been retained to execute this search. If you were contacted by The Berkner Group, please reply to the person who contacted you. If you are applying to a job posting, please email your resume and a brief introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the title for this position ("[Your name] - [Novoloop] - [Formulation Scientist") in the subject line of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!