We are Ascend, one of the highest volume clinical laboratories in the United States. With the use of the most advanced tools and technology, we process millions of tests each month. For over 30 years, we have been delivering industry-leading service and excellence in testing. At Ascend, we are relentless about innovation and growing to pioneer the future of clinical and environmental laboratory testing.
Ascend is unlike most companies, offering the discipline of a healthcare leader and the mentality of a tech startup. As a company that is on the leading edge, we are seeking individuals with a similar mindset who enjoy a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
As a Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) Microbiology supporting the Microbiology and Virology Department you will perform routine laboratory testing as well as basic instrumentation maintenance and troubleshooting and accurately perform routine laboratory testing in accordance with protocols established. The CLS will correlate and integrate other patient data when interpreting test results and report results, which are substantiated by the proper use of appropriate quality control systems. The CLS will also use professional judgment and have an in-depth knowledge of laboratory techniques, scientific principles, quality control and instrument maintenance. In this position you must recognize problems, identify causes, and determine alternative methods and solutions as well as actively contribute to quality assurance activities and participate in proficiency testing.
* Perform a variety of standardized tests within Microbiology and Virology Department utilizing state-of-the-art instruments such as Bruker Maldi-TOF, Kiestra Inocula, BACTEC FX, Microscan plus system, and Alinity.
* Perform microbiological examinations for the detection and identification of pathogenic bacteria from blood cultures, urine, effluent, throat, wound cultures, and environmental sources.
* Perform RT-PCR testing of COVID-19 and HCV confirmation tests.
* Make microbiological examinations of body fluids and blood specimens.
* Perform other quality control procedures to assure the operational accuracy of equipment and test reproducibility.
* Set up equipment, samples, and materials needed for analysis.
* The Microbiology Clinical Laboratory Scientist will perform only those tests for which the scientist is qualified by education, training, and/or experience.
* Basic knowledge of microbiology to accurately perform testing procedures and obtain accurate results. Analytical skills are essential to complete analysis procedures and determine the concentration of the microorganism.
* Knowledge of accepted clinical laboratory practice and procedures including handling of potentially infectious material and familiarity with California law relating to the practice of medical technology.
* Knowledge of computer skills, quality control and instrument maintenance. Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
* Analytical problem-solving skills, proficiency in performing detailed tasks thoroughly and completely, and the ability to follow complicated instructions with accuracy.
* Knowledge of quality control and calibration; knowledge of lab equipment and procedures.
* Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university with one to two years related experience.
* Clinical Lab Scientist license from the State of California.
Ascend provides a competitive benefit package which includes the following (eligibility requirements apply): Health and Welfare Benefits: Medical (including prescription coverage), Dental, Vision, Health Savings Account, Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, AD&D, Work/Life Resources (including Employee Assistance Program) Leave Benefits: Paid holidays, annual Paid Time Off (includes paid state /local paid leave where required), Short-term Disability, Long-term Disability, Other leaves (e.g., Bereavement, FMLA, ADA, Jury Duty, Military Leave, and Parental and Adoption leave) Retirement Benefits: Contributory pension plan and Savings Plan (401k).