Atlas is a nationwide leader in civil engineering, materials testing and geotechnical consulting services for environmental, industrial and infrastructure construction projects. Headquartered in Austin, TX, Atlas currently has over 3,500 employees with offices throughout the US, including Alaska & Hawaii. It's no accident that Atlas creates a better experience for infrastructure and environmental projects. It's how we are built - with the best people in the industry, with the reach and expertise to help at any and every step of the project, and with a heart-led approach that puts quality and safety at the center of everything we do. We're just built to be better. We are a great company. Come join us!
We are seeking and Environmental Scientist to join our Pittsburgh team!
Job Responsibilities Include But Are Not Limited To
* Perform environmental due diligence and occasional groundwater monitoring well gauging and sampling activities.
* Prepare Phase I Environmental Site Assessment Reports consistent with ASTM E1527-13 and E1527-21 environmental due diligence standards.
Perform all aspects of a Phase I ESA including:
* Site reconnaissance (industrial, commercial, vacant/undeveloped sites),
* Analysis and interpretation of historical resources,
* Analysis and interpretation of regulatory agency database reports,
* Identify recognized environmental conditions (RECs), historical RECs, controlled RECs, business environmental risks (BERs), and de minimis conditions,
* Develop conclusions and recommendations, and
* Conduct Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and/or Right-to-Know (RTK) public records requests.
* Assist with environmental sampling and data collection assignments as needed, including soil and groundwater sampling and monitoring well gauging, and NPDES storm water sampling, and abandoned mine land assessment and restoration.
* Perform multiple projects within budget and schedule, and prepare deliverables which meet Atlas quality standards.
* Clearly communicate with Atlas team, clients, and vendors.
* 2 to 5 years of environmental due diligence (Phase I ESA) experience
* 40-hour OSHA Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) training preferred but not required
* Working knowledge of ASTM E1527-13 and E1527-21 Phase I ESA standards
* Willingness to learn new skills and expand on existing skillsets with team-provided support and training
* Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, able to work in a team environment
* Strong technical writing, and organizational, time-management and multi-tasking skills
* Schedule flexibility, including maintaining production while working remotely (when necessary)
* Willingness to occasionally travel to job sites in western/central PA and WV for site reconnaissance purposes.
* Ability to conduct overnight field stays when necessary up to approximately four days per month average
* Ability to work longer field days as needed
* Must be a self-starter, resourceful, and have the ability to work productively on multiple projects at a time under strict deadlines. Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Adherence to Atlas and site-specific safety standards.
* Microsoft Excel and Word proficiency.
* Valid U.S. driver's license, and ability to operate a company vehicle
* Familiarity with ArcGIS or other ESRI software a plus, but not required
* Prior experience with asbestos, lead in drinking water, radon, and/or mold sampling a plus, but not required
* Prior environmental permitting experience a plus, but not required
* Bachelor of Science degree in environmental science, biology, geology, or related discipline
Atlas EEOC Statement
Atlas is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Atlas makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time. For more information, read through our EEO Policy here.