Reporting to the Microbiology Supervisor, the microbiology Clinical Laboratory Scientist is a Licensed Medical Technologist whose primary responsibility is to perform laboratory testing on patient's samples within the Microbiology section of the laboratory. In this capacity the Microbiology CLS performs the pre analytical, analytical and post analytical testing and is responsible for quality control, equipment maintenance and all reporting and documentation.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
* Processes samples and performs the required sample transport, accessioning and prenalytical processing.
* Performs all aspects of laboratory testing and according to standard operating procedures to include pre analytical, analytical and post analytical phases. Demonstrates the required skill set to solve most problems and handles difficult situations with little or no supervision. Has the written and oral communicative abilities adequate to comprehend technical material and communicate with medical professionals.
* Adheres to the required quality control set up and review. Maintains a level of understanding for quality control requirements for review and approval prior to patient sample testing.
* Performs the required equipment maintenance based on bench assignment within specified timeframes and maintains accurate and complete documentation. Takes the initiate for equipment maintenance log replacement as needed.
* Performs the required daily Microbiology Quality Control and maintains accurate and complete documentation.
* Demonstrates the required competency with instrument/equipment operation. Able to trouble shoot and follow through with service repair to ensure instrument is functioning in a timely manner.
* Demonstrates the required competency to evaluate and work up Microbiology cultures. Ability to correlate biochemical and morphological results and antimicrobial patterns.
* Adheres to the required documentation when using supplies. Performs parallel testing as required.
* Assists with ordering labeling and putting supplies away-demonstrates self-direction with inventory management.
* Maintains an organized and clean work environment.
* Performs other related duties as assigned
* Bachelor Degree - Science
* 1 year Microbiology clinical laboratory experience
* CA Clinical Laboratory Scientist License
* Special Skills/Knowledge
* Strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Proficient with computer.