Mountainview Biological Consulting is seeking Biologists to fill 5 as-needed/on-call positions in various locations throughout California. The work available is typically full-time, even through winter for select candidates. Job responsibilities include biological and compliance monitoring, nesting bird surveys, habitat assessments and preconstruction surveys for various special-status species, waters monitoring, online and Excel report preparation, use of GPS equipment, use of Collector and Survey123. Potential for weekly travel to alternate working locations.
Biological monitoring duties require in-field decision-making, strong time management skills, as well as oral and written communication skills, diplomacy, flexibility, and a firm grasp of BMPs. California biological field experience is required. Experience with construction monitoring near waters locations required. Delineation experience combined with strong report-writing skills highly desirable. This position will require work in various working environments and conditions.
Willingness to mobilize to alternative locations for work for two to three weeks at a time is preferred but not necessary. The following skills and certifications are highly desirable: Federal Recovery Permits, Desktop Analysis and EHSync experience, Certified Botanist.
Education and Training:
BS or MS in biology, ecology, wetland science, plant ecology, or similar field. Environmental Studies acceptable.
You must reside in or near one of the following locations: Fresno, Bakersfield, Bishop, Ridgecrest, Santa Barbara, Inland Empire Area.
* Proven familiarity with flora and fauna of Southern and/or Central California with a strength in ornithology, botany, wildlife biology, and/or wetland ecology.
* Basic understanding of FESA, CESA, CEQA, and NEPA.
* Experience with GPS, GIS
* Minimum 2 years with compliance/biological/construction monitoring in California
* Minimum 1 year with waters monitoring (not water quality testing) in California
* Minimum 1 year with Desktop Analysis experience of Biological Resources and Habitats
* Proficiency with Excel, Survey123, and Field Maps
* Hydrology, Delineations (experience in California)
* More than 40 hours of experience with any Southern California Special-Status Species: SKR, SBKR, LBVI, SWFL, CAGN, YOTO, SNYLF, SMYLF, CRLF, CASPO, YBCU, etc
* Technical Reporting
* Proposal Writing
* Current USFWS 10(a)(1)(A) Permit and current CDFW Scientific Collecting Permit
At least 2 year of professional experience in waters monitoring, biological surveys, biological/construction monitoring, or similar field/biological experience.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time (As-Needed)
Health Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, 401k, Professional Development Subsidy, EAP, mobile phone subsidy, partially-paid drive time