Velia is a transformative biotech company with the ambitious goal to harness the therapeutic potential of a novel class of human peptides, also known as microproteins. Building upon our founders' seminal work, the Velia team is constructing and deploying a novel target discovery pipeline that integrates computational science, high throughput profiling, functional genomics, and human clinical data. Innovative discovery scientists are encouraged to apply and bring intellectual curiosity, scientific rigor, and a desire to discover important, new medicines for patients.
As a Screening & Discovery Biology (Senior) Scientist, you will be a member of a highly driven, interdisciplinary team focused on new target discovery and mechanism determination. You will be responsible for the design, execution, interpretation, and troubleshooting of screening studies aimed to discover and characterize novel microproteins. You will need to leverage your technical and scientific foundation to come up with creative hypotheses to uncover novel biology and potential mechanisms of action.
* Design and execute cell-based assays to capture new target biology including using CRISPR screens and high-content microscopy
* Use a combination of ribosome profiling (Ribo-Seq), RNAseq, and mass spectrometry (MS) based proteomic techniques to find novel microproteins and develop our proprietary platform
* Successfully navigate technical difficulties and implement creative, thoughtful solutions
* Stay up-to-date with emerging scientific literature and share your ideas liberally
* Drive multiple scientific efforts in parallel
* Collaborate and communicate across a diverse scientific team to successfully progress Velia goals
* Ph.D. or BS/MS degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Cellular/Molecular Biology, or related field
* Ph.D and 2+ year(s) or BS/MS and 8+ year(s) of hands-on research experience in cell-based assays in an industrial or academic/postdoctoral setting
* Ability to independently design, optimize, and implement medium to high-throughput cell-based screening assays
* Experience with molecular biology techniques, such as nucleic acid (DNA/RNA) extraction and purification, CRISPR, cloning, transfections
* Experience with immunoprecipitation and ribosome profiling is highly desirable
* Experience with fluorescence and luminescence detection platforms and high-content microscopy
* Proficiency in analyzing data with GraphPad Prism
* Keen analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to resolve routine issues using appropriate information
* Evidence of scientific excellence and impact as illustrated by scientific publications and presentations
* Ability to keep detailed and organized records of experimental protocols and results
* Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently, communicate clearly, work within departmental groups, and to build open and collaborative relationships is essential
* Initiative to dive into a fast-paced new startup
A final note - we highly encourage you to apply for this role, even if you're not sure you meet 100% of our requirements. We look not only at your current skills but your potential, and we know that the best teams include people of diverse backgrounds.
We offer a vibrant startup environment where every member of the Velia team will play a role in shaping a culture of inclusion, scientific exploration, and openness. We offer competitive compensation, including stock options, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid time off, medical, dental, vision, 401K, and a flexible spending account.
Velia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will consider all applicants for employment.