We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
Applied Statistician: Atmospheric Perils Modeling
Come join the Stochastic Atmospheric Perils Modeling Team in Verisk Extreme Event Solution's Boston-based Research Department, and contribute to building the next generation of probabilistic catastrophe models for assessing the risk of extreme weather. Our team's projects offer opportunities for creative problem-solving on a boundless set of interesting statistical problems at the interface of extreme weather, climate change, and risk. Catastrophe models depend fundamentally on hierarchical modeling of space-time physical processes, inference from heterogeneous and incomplete calibration data, and use of ensemble techniques to quantify uncertainties. We learn continuously through interdisciplinary collaborations with a diverse team of meteorologists, applied mathematicians, climate scientists, engineers, and hydrologists. As such, this is a fantastic position for a curious statistician with an interest in modeling atmospheric processes! In addition to possessing sharp technical skills, we also hope you will bring a practical, applied mindset to the role. Our team's work contributes toward building tools that enable the (re)insurance sector to make sound decisions to enhance social resilience to natural catastrophes.
Day To Day Responsibilities
* First projects are likely to be contributing collaboratively to model formulation, improvement, and implementation for building Verisk's next generation tropical cyclone models.
* Work with domain-area experts in meteorology, hydrology, and engineering to understand relevant data sets and translate model calibration and validation needs into statistical analysis and models.
* Analyze and validate Verisk Extreme Event Solution's simulated hurricane track sets against observational data to ensure statistical robustness. Perform validation exercises to demonstrate statistical rigor of models, sometimes as part of regulatory requirements. As part of a team, defend the statistical analysis on behalf of Verisk Extreme Event Solutions to external clients and reviewers.
* Contribute to identification, inference, and modeling of significant non-stationarities in tropical cyclone data, including those that may be due to climate change.
* Help formulate answers to client questions related to the statistical aspects of Verisk Extreme Event Solution's tropical cyclone models.
* Soundboard modeling problems of fellow statistician team members working on other projects, and contribute to a team culture of mutual support, respect, and continued learning.
* Advanced degree in statistics or equivalent statistical modeling experience required (PhD in statistics preferred; position can be flexed for early or mid-career applicants for candidates with a great fit in skills and interests.)
* Theoretical and applied command of time-series and/or spatial and/or spatio-temporal statistical modeling techniques. Comfort with Bayesian hierarchical modeling required.
* Excellent communication in both technical and non-technical contexts
* Ability to present and defend statistical results on behalf of the organization in front of external statisticians and regulators. Willingness and confidence to provide statistical leadership and guidance to team members and senior management.
* Motivated to contribute creative technical solutions to collaborative team projects, and to implement solutions reproducibly in robust and well-tested code
* Fluency in R programming language is a necessity
* Programming in other languages (python, Matlab, Fortran, C, C++, Java) would be a plus, as would be proficiency in shell scripting and cluster computing
* Expertise in any of the following topics would be a bonus: data assimilation, extreme value theory, Gaussian process emulation of high-dimensional computer models
* Experience modeling atmospheric or climatic phenomena, or interpreting statistical inference in terms of physical systems, would be a significant advantage.
* Experience with R package development and version control would also strengthen candidacy.
* Strong organizational skills that promote reproducible research workflows are also desired.
In 2022, Verisk received Great Place to Work® Certification for our outstanding workplace culture for the sixth year in a row and second-time certification in the UK, Spain, and India. We're also one of the 38 companies on the UK's Best Workplaces™ list and one of 18 companies on Spain's Best Workplaces™ list.
For over fifty years and through innovation, interpretation, and professional insight, Verisk has replaced uncertainty with precision to unlock opportunities that deliver significant and demonstrable impact. From our historic roots in risk assessment, we've grown to provide analytic insights that help transform industries focused on some of the world's most critical areas. Today, the insurance industry relies on Verisk to be, and to make the world, more productive, resilient, and sustainable.
Verisk works in collaboration with our customers and at the intersection of people, data, and advanced technologies. Through proprietary platformed analytics, advanced modeling, and interpretation, we deliver immediate and sustained value to our customers and through them, to the individuals and societies they serve, with greater speed, precision, and scale.
We're 9,000 people strong, committed to translating big data into big ideas. We help others see new possibilities and empower certainty into big decisions that impact individuals and societies. And we relentlessly and ethically pursue innovation to help move our customers, and the world, toward better tomorrows.
Everyone at Verisk-from our chief executive officer to our newest employee-is guided by The Verisk Way, to Be Remarkable, Add Value, and Innovate.
* Be Remarkable by doing something better each day in service to our customers and each other
* Add Value by delivering immediate and sustained results that drive positive outcomes
* Innovate by redefining what's possible, embracing challenges, and pushing boundaries
Underwriting Solutions - provides underwriting and rating solutions for auto and property, general liability, and excess and surplus to assess and price risk with speed and precision
Claims Solutions - supports end-to-end claims handling with analytic and automation tools that streamline workflow, improve claims management, and support better customer experiences
Property Estimating Solutions - offers property estimation software and tools for professionals in estimating all phases of building and repair to make day-to-day workflows the most efficient
Extreme Event Solutions - provides risk modeling solutions to help individuals, businesses, and society become more resilient to extreme events.
Specialty Business Solutions - provides an integrated suite of software for full end-to-end management of insurance and reinsurance business, helping companies manage their businesses through efficiency, flexibility, and data governance
Marketing Solutions - delivers data and insights to improve the reach, timing, relevance, and compliance of every consumer engagement
Verisk Maplecroft - provides intelligence on sustainability, resilience, and ESG, helping people, business, and societies become stronger
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the 7th consecutive year. We've been recognized by Forbes as a World's Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk's Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
HR CCPA Privacy Notice.pdf
At Verisk, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for office based roles or roles that support any of our businesses' government contracts will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.