We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
Join the Mid-latitude Atmospheric Perils research team at Verisk Extreme Event Solutions in the Boston-based Research Department. You will be responsible for providing a process level understanding of extratropical cyclones/winter storms and the processes or conditions that lead to extreme winds, snowfall accumulations, and freezing rain in the historic, near present, and future climates. As a research scientist, you will be applying your scientific and technical knowledge to represent the observed damage-causing characteristics of extratropical cyclones within catastrophe (CAT) models. You will also support and validate Verisk CAT models for regions around the globe within client-facing meetings and as part of the shared responsibilities of the Mid-latitude Atmospheric Perils research team. The results of your work will be used by industry and governments to assess the risks from extreme weather events.
About The Day-to-Day Responsibilities Of The Role
* Provide domain knowledge and modeling (e.g. WRF) or observational expertise for building scientifically sound representations of extreme weather events.
* Collect and analyze a wide range of in-situ and remote sensing observations.
* Develop code and apply statically robust methods for model development and evaluation.
* Engage with clients about validating and using Verisk's CAT models to assess risks from extreme weather events.
* M.S. with 4+ years professional experience in a technical environment, or Ph.D. degree in meteorology, geoscience, or related fields required
* Knowledge of atmospheric dynamics is required.
* Background and experience in extratropical cyclone modeling would be considered a significant advantage.
* Experience with statistical analysis and data science is desired.
* Ability to gather, integrate, and critically analyze data from all relevant sources.
* Strong skills gained through practical experience using high-level language and tools such as Python, R, NCL, Git and Linux environment.
* Familiarity with C++, MATLAB, FORTRAN Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Demonstrated record of scientific excellence (e.g., software deliverables/products, publications, presentations)
* Open to mid-career scientists. Early-career scientist preferred
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It's the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It's why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It's the aim of our "returnship" program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it's what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers' problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the 7th consecutive year. We've been recognized by Forbes as a World's Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk's Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice
At Verisk, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for office based roles or roles that support any of our businesses' government contracts will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.