Under direction, is responsible for scheduling and administeringprograms in the field of urbanforestry, horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, andagronomy. Working conditions are primarily outside with frequentexposure to temperature extremes. Exercises functional supervision overassigned staff. Under direction, is responsible for scheduling and administering programs in the field of urban forestry, horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and agronomy. Working conditions are primarily outside with frequent exposure to temperature extremes. Exercises functional supervision over assigned staff.
5800 Enrique Barrera Pkwy
6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.; Monday - Friday.All schedules are subject to seasonal adjustments, including some evenings and weekends. Shifts are subject to change to accommodate evening coverage, rotating weekends, and holiday shiftwork, as dictated by business needs.
Essential Job Functions
* Directs installation, care, maintenance, and improvement of assigned tree and plant collections, plantings, and park areas.
* Prepares budget for assigned area and monitors expenditures.
* Prepares, schedules, and directs operations to develop and curate scientific, educational, exhibition, and ornamental plantings, plant, or collections.
* Performs field supervision over assigned staff.
* Coordinates and supervises assigned operations including landscape installation, hardscape maintenance systems, mechanical maintenance, and pest and disease control.
* Assures proper and safe operation of physical plant including operation of utilities, machinery, and public facilities; utilizes basic landscaping equipment as needed.
* Develops and presents scientific/lay presentations to staff, general public, groups, schools, clubs, etc.
* Fosters involvement by horticultural and botanical societies.
* Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
* Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
* Three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in plant propagation and the care and maintenance of ornamental plants, to include one (1) year of supervisory experience.
* Valid Class 'C' Texas Driver's License.
* Certified Arborist is highly desirable.
* Two (2) years of experience with large-scale tree planting, watering, and maintenance.
* Experience with ArcMap GIS.
* Basic computer skills.
* Knowledge of Central and South Texas trees.
* Bilingual in English and Spanish.
* If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
* Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
* Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
* Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a physical, motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Knowledge of management, planning, and maintenance of horticultural planting operations.
* Knowledge of plant physiology, pathology, propagation, floriculture, arboriculture, and agronomy.
* Knowledge of Texas native plants, their water needs, habitat, and appropriate soils.
* Knowledge of rare and endangered plants and research methods.
* Knowledge of plant taxonomy and the uses of the plants for food, medicine fiber, oil, etc.
* Knowledge of plant diseases and methods of control for insects and fungus.
* Knowledge of tree surgery and safety precautions to protect employees and the public.
* Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision, training, and personnel management.
* Skill in utilizing basic office equipment.
* Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
* Ability to perform scientific and statistical analysis of horticultural problems.
* Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare comprehensive reports.
* Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position, with or without accommodations.