Associate Director/Director, Biology Science · San Francisco · Full time
Company Overview Atomwise is a technology-enabled pharmaceutical company leveraging the power of AI to revolutionize small molecule drug discovery.
The Atomwise team invented the use of deep learning for structure-based drug design; this technology underpins Atomwise's best-in-class AI discovery engine, which is differentiated by its ability to find and optimize novel chemical matter. Atomwise has extensively validated its discovery engine, delivering success in over 185 projects to-date including a wide-variety of protein types and numerous "hard-to-drug" targets. Atomwise is building a wholly-owned pipeline of small-molecule drug candidates, with three programs in lead-optimization and over 30 programs in discovery. The company has raised over $174 million from leading venture capital firms to advance its mission to make better medicines, faster.
Role Summary Atomwise is recruiting an experienced scientific leader to drive the transition of the organization's internal drug discovery portfolio into early-stage and late-stage development programs with a goal to design and oversee preclinicalin vivostudies that will allow the robust evaluation of lead molecules and development candidates.
You will provide strategic insight and technical leadership to the teams supporting drug discovery projects from target discovery through IND-enabling studies.
This role requires excellent communication skills, in-depth knowledge of preclinicalin vivopharmacology (target engagement, PKPD relationships, efficacy models) and ability to design translational studies to support future clinical activities. You will work effectively with an interdisciplinary team of computational and medicinal chemists, biologists, cheminformaticians, software engineers, CROs, and program managers to define, build, and optimize our massive, diverse portfolio of preclinical programs.
- Lead and collaborate with project teams to design, implement, and analyzein vivopharmacology studies to support Atomwise preclinical programs.
- Direct the selection and validation of quantitative mechanism- and disease-relevant animal models to evaluate PD and efficacy across diverse target classes and therapeutic areas. Developin vivopharmacology criteria for continued advancement of lead molecules and selection of development candidates.
- Identify and oversee execution of translational strategies to support advancing discovery projects into clinical development.
- Contribute to the discovery, preclinical pharmacology, and translational development plans, including defining key milestones and decision points and timelines, identifying risks and mitigation strategies, study planning and execution, selection of therapeutic indications, and IND filings.
- Communicate progress to internal stakeholders, KOLs, and participate in business presentations with external partners and investors.
- Ph.D. in pharmacology, cell biology, immunology or a related scientific discipline plus 8-12 years of relevant industry experience.
- Expertise designing and executingin vivopharmacology studies to support preclinical development in least one of the following areas: oncology, inflammation, or CNS.
- Extensive experience building quantitative PD/efficacy models and collaborations within vitropharmacology and pharmacokinetics groups to select relevant endpoints and build PKPD relationships.
- Deep understanding of the drug discovery process, with experience advancing small molecule candidates through preclinical development, including contributions to IND filings.
- Experience in the management of CROs, including evaluation/selection, setting up processes, and quality control.
- Demonstrated track record of clear communication, working with a multidisciplinary team, mentoring, and developing talent.
- Practices first principles thinking to solve problems.
Compensation & benefits
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Stock compensation plan - you'll be an Atomwise co-owner
- Platinum health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k with 4% match
- Funding for professional development and conference attendance
- Flexible work schedule
- Generous parental leave
- High performance culture
- Great colleagues
Atomwise is an equal opportunity employer and strives to foster an inclusive workplace. Our mission is to develop better medicines faster, and we know that we need a diverse team to develop medicines that serve diverse populations. Accordingly, Atomwise does not make any employment decisions (including but not limited to, hiring, compensation, and promotions) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state, and local law. We strongly encourage people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives to apply. Please click here to apply.