Director of Environmental Health and Safety
Employer Massachusetts General Physicians' Organization Location Boston, Massachusetts, US Salary Competitive Closing date Oct 9, 2022
Job Description - Director of Environmental Health and Safety (3213433)
Director of Environmental Health and Safety - ( 3213433 )
This position directs EH&S personnel and leads technical and regulatory activities to provide a comprehensive safety and environmental compliance program serving all MGH locations. Major duties include hazard identification, risk management, staff development, policy management and sound fiscal stewardship. The Director maintains a proactive focus on program planning, implementation, and quality assurance/performance improvement in all technical program areas with emphases on fire and life safety, construction, biological research, chemical safety, general laboratory safety, workplace exposure management, contingency response, training content and delivery, and environmental compliance.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains a comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge base relative to technical workplace safety and environmental protection matters. Also keeps current with regulatory developments with potential program impact and proactively responds with operational changes as needed.
- Establishes departmental goals and objectives based on continual assessment of organizational risk, incident experience and compliance imperatives. Assures continued alignment with organizational needs through continual performance measurement and quality assurance and improvement initiatives.
- Develops, implements, and maintains policies and procedures that seek to identify hazards, minimize workplace-related risk, and ensure hospital-wide regulatory compliance with relevant EH&S and environmental protection regulations.
- Prioritizes safety training. Develops and maintains content and delivers subject matter to inform on topics of both organization-wide and department-specific need.
- Maintains an effective EH&S team. Provides staff with the training, physical resources and non-material support needed to achieve individual job objectives. Acts with each team member to also provide opportunity for individual professional growth.
- Functions as a primary resource on all matters pertaining to workplace safety, including consulting on an individual basis as needed and requested.
- Participates on committees. Maintains a close cooperation and liaison with all departments and administration to provide coordination of activities that encourage a culture of safety relative to the environment of care for patients, employees, and visitors.
- Interfaces with regulatory and accreditation authorities relative to inspections, licenses, certifications, permits and other regulatory matters.
- Prepares the annual operating budget. Monitors operating expenses. Ensures costs remain within established fiscal limits and prepares justification when needed for budget deviations or unanticipated emergent needs. Utilizes outside consultants and service providers in a fiscally sound manner consistent with selected safety program necessities.
- Embraces and supports changes needed to maintain alignment with Mass. General Brigham objectives.
The Safety Director must possess at least a bachelor's level degree, ten years of experience in a large, academic medical environment and proficiency in managing a professional staff and budget in a dynamic and demanding work environment. Certification as a Certified Safety Professional or an equivalent credential is desirable.SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Remains highly motivated and proactive with ability to manage multiple, simultaneous tasks in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
- Maintains a broad understanding of basic sciences and various aspects of personnel and fiscal management.
- Must be able to interact throughout the organization to build functional working relationships. Displays excellent interpersonal skills and handles conflict situations tactfully and constructively.
- Must communicate well at all organizational levels in writing and verbally. Must possess ability to present to large and small groups and utilize a variety of communication media.
- Budgets realistically and maintains sound fiscal performance
- Interfaces constructively with outside regulatory agencies
- Can perform routine physical activities (such as walking, climbing, lifting and carrying). Can work in personal protective equipment, including a respirator.
- Must function in a fast-paced and highly dynamic organization comprised of sizable healthcare, research, and support service functions
- Assure EH&S availability all-hours via page; respond to urgent matters when necessary; occasionally work outside of regular office hours
- Work safely with hazardous materials and in and around a variety of hazardous conditions
Currently responsible for eight full time staff.FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY:
Current EH&S Budget: ≈ $2 million.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Primary Location Work Locations
MGH Main Campus
Organization Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Standard Hours 40
Shift Day Job
Employee Status Regular
Recruiting Department MGH Environmental Safety
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.