HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc
DescriptionHELIX Environmental Planning, Inc. (HELIX), a growing, employee-owned California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is seeking a motivated Restoration Biologist with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic to join one of our northern California office locations (Folsom or Roseville). HELIX provides biological, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, CEQA/NEPA, cultural resource management, acoustics and noise control, air quality and greenhouse gas, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors. In addition to supporting habitat restoration projects from a planning and biological monitoring perspective, the HELIX team includes restoration practitioners who physically implement restoration projects in the field. This ability makes HELIX one of the few firms that can truly design and build restoration projects in house, from growing the plants to monitoring the success, all under one roof.
Why work for HELIX? In addition to being able to work on fantastic projects, HELIX is an employee-owned firm, hard-working with a casual and collaborative work environment. Our employees describe us as Client-focused, Caring, Team-oriented, Focused on Integrity, and Flexible . In addition to our competitive benefit package, we have robust, award-winning wellness and community volunteer programs and much more! We are excited to meet you!
Candidates-please provide a cover letter
The Restoration Biologist responsibilities include supporting the HELIX biology and habitat restoration teams with habitat restoration project work to include:
* Design or assist with designing habitat restoration projects to meet project goals and success criteria.
* Design and implement site exploration programs to evaluate the potential for successful restoration efforts.
* Work with Field Restoration Crews to implement restoration designs and lead adaptive management efforts as projects evolve through the restoration process.
* Develop habitat restoration plans in conjunction with regulatory permitting staff that meet project permit goals.
* Assist with project design and descriptions to support grant application efforts.
* Conduct or lead biology surveys, including biological reconnaissance, vegetation mapping, special-status plant surveys, jurisdictional delineations, focused species surveys and/or pre-construction clearance surveys.
* Conduct or lead biological monitoring for construction/restoration projects.
* Assist project managers with preparation and processing of wetland permit applications and supporting materials.
* Participate in business development by keeping resume current, doing a great job on projects, and looking for possible leads for new work.
* Prepare or assist project managers with proposals and augments for private and public projects, as well as preparation for (or attendance at) project interviews.
* Includes occasional overnight travel.
The ideal candidate must possess strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills because critical aspects of this position include developing solutions for project challenges, as well as forging strong, collaborative relationships and building consensus among team members, staff, clients, and agencies. A positive attitude, flexible mindset and adaptability to changing circumstances is imperative.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.
#Biologist #Restorationbiologist #habitatrestoration #biology Requirements:
Minimum Requirements for Restoration Biologist:
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent in an environmental science, including botany, biology or other related field (degree in biochemistry or microbiology not acceptable)
* Five years of experience (outside of academic requirements) as a professional botanist/biologist conducting duties related to the job requirements, including at least 2 years of work experience in northern California
* Experience with field data collection methods and equipment
* Possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
* Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
* Ability to hike long distances over varying terrain under varying weather conditions
* Valid California Driver's License with a clean driving record over the last 3 years
* Ability for occasional overnight travel
Additional skills considered a plus for Restoration Biologist:
* Experience working for an environmental consulting firm
* Permits to conduct focused surveys for northern California special-status flora and fauna
* Arborist Certification from the International Society of Arboriculture
* Basic Wetland Delineation Certificate
* Society of Wetland Scientists Wetland Certification
* Experience facilitating coordination and/or acting as liaison with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Regional Water Quality Control Board, and/or California Department of Fish and Wildlife
* Experience with hands-on habitat restoration, including plant propagation or equipment operation
* Experience with the proper use of herbicide
* Experience with ArcGIS for field data collection
* Experience leading field survey efforts and monitoring efforts
* Experience with environmental compliance monitoring during construction