Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there's no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that's the kind of work we want to be part of.Associate Director, Environment, Health and Safety (EHS)
will be responsible for providing management, oversight, and direction of the Environmental, Health, and Safety/Security programs for the Hayward site. Ensures environmental, health, and safety compliance with federal, state, and local regulatory EHS requirements, Lonza policies, global standards, and procedures. Supports Corporate EHS Strategy and Objectives, contributes to development and implementation of global EHS programs and promotes local alignment with same. Creates and fosters a culture of EHS excellence across the Site and provides high-quality EHS technical and strategic leadership. As a key member of the site leadership team, provides advice and council, and communicates critical EHS issues to site and corporate management. Develops and manages field and site EHS professionals.Key Accountabilities:
- Ensure compliance in areas of environmental, safety, health and security through risk assessments, self-audits and investigations
- Assist in the development of controls to reduce or eliminate hazards found within the workplace
- Responsible to keep current with all new and pending EHS regulations that might have an impact upon the business
- Provide information and guidance to Lonza management on safety and environmental issues as they affect current and proposed processes, equipment and procedures including the review of all new projects
- Responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures in Hayward to ensure safe and efficient operation of the unit and to ensure regulatory compliance
- Maintain all records and reports as defined by regulatory agencies and corporate guidelines
- Review and assess all new chemicals, pharmaceutical ingredients, and other materials being brought into the site and provide industrial hygiene monitoring as needed to assure exposure levels are minimized
- Direct and maintain an effective site security program.
- Develop and Manage the Emergency Response Plan and Business Continuity Plan for Hayward
- Communicate effectively with all levels of management, directing operations personnel and project teams, as appropriate. This includes informing Global Environmental, Health, and Safety (GEHS) and Management of regulatory and operational issues impacting the site (current and emerging)
- Serves as local expert in safety, health, environmental regulatory issues and directs compliance activities on these matters. Serves as a site leader in working with regulatory agencies and keeping local management & GEHS apprised of developments
- Develops permitting and compliance strategies and negotiates for facility with regulatory agencies
- University or Bachelor's degree in environmental, safety, chemical engineering or other related discipline (chemistry, physical sciences, biology, and toxicology) is required. (Other 4 year degree health/sciences with significant equivalent work experience in EHS field may suffice.) Graduate degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years' experience in safety and/or environmental/ engineering related positions, including knowledge of chemical, pharmaceutical, and/or environmental processes is desired
- Professional certification in related discipline (i.e CSP, CIH, CHMM, or CHCM) is preferred
- Advanced degree in EHS management a plus
- Experience with pharmaceutical or chemical manufacturing a plus
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.