About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in environmental consulting services for your clients? SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding their team and looking for dynamic individuals who are following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work.
Our Las Vegas office is seeking temporary Biological Field Technicians to support a variety of biological studies in the Mojave Desert.
This role is a field position that may require short-term travel away from home and long hours. Work schedule varies by project but typically consists of five to six 8- to 12-hour workdays per week, with overtime possible. Vehicles provided. Travel to and from the Las Vegas office to the project area is paid. This position may provide the opportunity for growth and transition into a full-time permanent position.
What you will accomplish
A key aspect of this position will be conducting desert tortoise and other wildlife and vegetation field studies and construction monitoring. You will be responsible for collecting field data, including identification of fauna and flora. Use topographic maps, aerial photographs, GPS units, and other maps and tools to determine exact locations of project areas, habitat types, and associated landforms. Photograph and record appropriate habitat, species, and landforms. Operate SWCA vehicles, assure they will perform safely, and notify appropriate person if vehicle needs maintenance. Ability to drive a 4-wheel-drive vehicle on rugged, back-country roads.
Experience and qualifications for success
* B.A. or B.S. in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, or other related life sciences field preferred.
* Previous experience with Mojave Desert Tortoise is preferred but not required.
* Experience completing biological studies, fieldwork, habitat assessments, and/or construction monitoring in the Mojave Desert is preferred.
* Experience with vegetation identification, accurate data collection procedures, and data entry QA/QC preferred.
* Excellent communication and organizational skills
* Detail-oriented and capable of adhering to established protocols
* Ability to record project data accurately and efficiently
* Ability to work as part of a team
* The ability to conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes inclement weather conditions, including walking at least 10-miles in rugged terrain carrying equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds, is a must.
* Willing and able to work construction hours, including being flexible when crews need to work longer hours than anticipated that day.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.