Salary $44,108.00 - $50,724.00 Annually Location Norristown, PA Job Type Full-Time Department Health Department Job Number 0361 SUMMARY
An Environmental Health Specialist (EHS) will provide inspections, enforcement services, and education for a broad range of environmental health programs to ensure compliance and uniformity under the Montgomery County Public Health Code (MCPHC) and other statutes, regulations and ordinances.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct regulatory environmental inspections of food facilities, pools, schools, campgrounds, mobile home parks, etc. as required by the MCPHC;
- Conduct food and water-borne illness investigations as required;
- Collect evidence and samples of food, water and other materials as required;
- Issue official notices of corrective action, follow-up to ensure compliance and appear in court as necessary;
- Ensures inspection documentation is recorded accurately in the environmental software application;
- Manage and maintain territory inspection schedule;
- Investigate complaints regarding insects, rodents, environmental hazards and nuisances
- Required to be on-call;
- Duties require travel throughout the County; must have reliable means of transportation.
General Knowledge and skills
- Strong computer, oral and written communication skills;
- Project a professional demeanor;
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain good working relationships with others;
- Accurate, detail-oriented and organized.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Health, Public Health, or related subject area. Must have thirty science credits with two years' experience, OR relevant experience in the field of environmental health services;
- This position requires a security background check.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands or arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
Physical requirements include long periods of standing, walking, bending, kneeling, driving and moderate to heavy lifting depending on tasks (approximately 25 - 50 pounds).WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment includes conducting field inspections/investigations inside and outside exposing the employee to different temperature extremes.