Ice Skating Instructor
Eagan Civic Arena
Pay: $14.50 - $28.50 per hour, DOQ
Part-time recurring (year-round), non-exempt, not benefit eligible Come be COOL at Civic Arena! Join #TeamEagan!
We are looking for experienced Figure Skating Instructors to join our dynamic and fun team! If you are a positive, energetic, organized individual, who enjoys connecting with Eagan's diverse community, join #TeamEagan
and help us organize, lead, and instruct Learn to Skate classes. Daytime availability preferred - however, we encourage ALL to apply.
Classes are offered year-round.
Scheduled hours are typically 1-8 hours per week and dependent on class times offered each session.
Summer Camp begins the first week of August from 8-4 p.m.
Follow this link to view the sessions/timesWhy Eagan?
Be a part of a culture that values teamwork, people, and progressive thinking. Work hard and have fun while serving the residents of our wonderful community. Enjoy competitive pay and flexible schedule!
Positions open until filled. In this job you will:
Additional opportunities may include:
- Organize, lead, and teach basic ice-skating skills, figure skating skills, and/or hockey skills for the appropriate classes with an emphasis on safety and fun
- Work with and provide service to individuals from diverse backgrounds, abilities, and age groups
- Work with coaching assistance and volunteers to provide a positive skating experience for all participants
- Provide exceptional service to internal and external customers
- Assist with exhibitions, competitions, birthday parties, summer camp and special events, as well as help with choreography and running the annual spring ice show
- Assess and test skaters; track and complete performance evaluations as needed
- Attend annual fall seminar and/or in-house training sessions for continued education and training, as well as quarterly Instructor meetings
- Available to instruct classes throughout the year on a regular basis
- Other duties as assigned
What is needed to apply for this job?
- Option to coach private lessons, competitive teams, show skaters, and summer camp classes; duties include choreography, costume design, editing music, creating classes, and travel to competitions.
You may be a great fit if you have:
- 16 years or age or older
- Ability to skate proficiently
- Current professional member of Learn to Skate USA or ability to become a professional member within 3 months of hire, and ability to maintain this membership throughout employment
- Currently carry or will obtain proper liability insurance (if conducting private lessons)
- Effective communication skills both orally and in writing
- Ability to work with all teammates, participants of all ages, adults, and the public
- Ability to perform all essential position functions under the working conditions described
- Must be available at least once per week for Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring sessions; more availability and flexibility through our busy sessions is highly preferred
- Experience as a competitive figure skater or hockey player
- Knowledge or experience with coaching skating school classes
- Experience choreographing ice-skating programs and ice shows
- Experience working or volunteering with children and youth, children with special needs, and adults. Examples could include babysitting, VBS teacher or volunteer, youth sports coach, etc.
- Familiarity with the Learn to Skate USA curriculum and its guidelines
- USFS CER compliant
- Professional Skaters Association member
- Knowledge of various teaching methodology and guidelines for ice skating such as ISI or USFS programs
Located in the Twin Cities metro area, Eagan is home to about 68,000 people. The City operates under a Council-Administrator form of government, employing 250 regular full-time employees, and up to 400 seasonal and part-time employees. Regarded as a great place to live, work and play, the City of Eagan prides itself on exceptional customer service and employs a stable workforce with experienced and professional staff. Areas of employment include finance, engineering, law enforcement, fire safety, parks and recreation, forestry, public works and utilities, community development, sports and fitness, arts and preschool education, etc. Visit our website to learn more at www.cityofeagan.com! The City of Eagan is an Equal Opportunity Employer