Job DescriptionSalary: ABOUT AIR PROTEIN
At Air Protein, we're passionate about creating a new food system-one that pushes the boundaries of what anyone thought was possible and builds a healthy relationship between our food and our planet. This is a new era of sustainable production; we can use less and make more. We can feed the growing global population without destroying rainforests or warming the planet. Join our diverse team of passionate scientists, engineers, and business leaders working to create the future of food-meat made from elements of the air.
As an innovative food company, we are crafting the world's first air-based meats to eliminate compromise between nutrition, taste and climate impact. Using novel technology inspired by NASA, we convert elements found in the air into protein. Air Protein's process is carbon-negative by design, using less land and water, and is powered by renewable energy. It's where cutting-edge science meets bold ambition to reinvent the way we eat.
We're currently seeking a Bioprocess Scientist
to join our extraordinary team.
- Do you have experience with operating, troubleshooting, and optimizing bioreactors and/or fermenters?
- Are you an expert at applying engineering principles?
- Do you possess a customer first mentality?
- Do you have an expertise in cGMP food and/or pharmaceutical ops?
- Have you worked with hydrogen and/or have robust knowledge of PSM?
If you answered yes to these questions, then WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! Benefits & Perks:
In addition to the chance to work with a world-class team and cutting-edge technology to help combat climate change and address the impending food crisis, Air Protein employees also enjoy competitive benefits. We offer unlimited PTO, parental leave, 401K match, and compensation plans that include employee equity. Air Protein invests in employee development and the company culture is shaped by shared values:
- Protect people & the planet
- Play as a team and have a growth mindset
- Do what you say you will do
- Be the change you seek
- Create a culture of belonging
The Bioprocess Scientist
is an experienced microbiologist, biochemist, scientist, or related occupation that is responsible for the safe design, commissioning, operation, and optimization of fermentation systems. This role would play a significant part in optimizing the fermentation process. This position is located in the SF/Bay area and would require the selected candidate to either live in commutable distance or relocate to the area. Relocation assistance is offered.
- Apply scientific principles, research theories, and models to design and plan experiments and research activities related to bioreactors and/or fermentation.
- Operate, troubleshoot, and optimize bioreactors and/or fermenters, and support equipment at the lab or pilot scale.
- Install, setup, and commission laboratory scale bioreactors and support equipment.
- Develop and implement improved aseptic procedures.
- Communicate findings to internal project teams, management, and external stakeholders
- Write and review technical documentation including reports, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and engineering design packages
- Prepare and give presentations to internal teams, clients, and potential investors
- Review literature and journal articles to inform program efforts, develop hypotheses, and design experiments to test hypotheses with the goal of improving the fermentation process.
- Participate in the Management of Change (MoC) systems specific to the fermentation operations.
- Support Project Safety Management (PSM) for the facility.
- Life sciences degree, biochemistry degree, engineering degree, or related.
- 5+ years of experience in a biotech, pharmaceutical, biofuel, or food fermentation operations role.
- Expertise in cGMP food and/or pharmaceutical operations.
Skills & Qualities:
- Experience with managing and safely using hazardous gasses and high-pressure systems is an asset, but not a requirement.
- Experience in gas fermentation is an asset, but not a requirement.
Check us out in the media, news, and in the community:
- Possess a customer first mentality with all stakeholders.
- Able to recognize when optimization, correction, or custom changes are necessary - ability to troubleshoot and manage operations.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Superlative communication skills.
- Professional experience in roles requiring both independent creativity and collaboration with multiple stakeholders.
- Understand the use of technology as a competitive differentiator.
Air Protein Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Forbes: The Meatless Mafia: Four Companies Revolutionizing the Future of Food
- World Economic Forum: Air Protein Named WEF Technology Pioneer
- TED Talk: A forgotten Space Age Technology Could Change How We Grow Food
- Bloomberg: Crop Trader ADM Pours Money Into Firm Making Meat Out of Air
At Air Protein, we are committed to providing equal opportunities. Because we want the absolute best people, we enthusiastically invite people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability - or any other status protected by law - to apply to join our team. Research has shown that women and people from marginalized groups may not apply for a role if they aren't a 100% match. Please don't hold back. If you think you will excel in this role, but perhaps you don't tick every box, we'd appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.