Principal Scientist, Computational Biology
Cambridge, MA; Seattle, WA; South San Francisco, CA August 15, 2022
Sana Biotechnology is looking to expand our team with creative individuals who believe in the potential of cells as engineered medicines. We are looking for an enthusiastic experienced computational biologist to work on exciting research projects based on clonal tracking technologies and high-throughput characterization of hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs). You will work in a vibrant research environment with the computational biology, computational engineering and gene therapy groups. You should bring a thoughtful vision and the determination to implement that vision. You will work and publish at the forefront of computational research and will directly impact Sana's therapeutic scope and capabilities.
You will report to the Executive Director of Computational Biology. We prefer that you are a team player and fantastic at collaboration, including teaching others about computational biology and HSCs.
What you'll do
- Design and run analytical pipelines to implement clonal tracking technologies such as vector barcoding, and high-throughput sequencing for target cell characterization
- Analyze RNA-seq, scRNA-seq, ATAC-seq and other types of high-throughput NGS data (from processing of sequencing results to more in-depth analyses)
- Partner with colleagues in Computational Biology to maintain a database of clonal tracking data from preclinical and clinical samples
- Communicate with Development regarding project deliverables for HSCs, and keep focus on nonclinical studies and therapeutic applications
- Collaborate with software engineers to develop prototypes into production-grade pipelines
- Document code, workflows, and analyses including study reports for nonclinical and clinical studies and regulatory filings
What we're looking for
- PhD in computational biology, genetics, bioinformatics, statistics, or related discipline with 8+ years of academic or industry experience
- Experience with integration site analyses of therapeutic viral vectors including clonal tracking
- Experience in characterization of HSCs, lineage tracing and genomics
- Proficiency in Python and R; familiarity with git, collaborative coding, and testing frameworks
- Knowledge of multivariate statistics, Bayesian statistics and statistical methods in bioinformatics
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud computing platforms
- Proficiency in stochastic differential equations for population models, models and inference for 2D-3D diffusion process, scan statistics in genomics and survival data, models for spatial data
- Linear/non-linear and parametric/non-parametric modeling
- Statistical and network analyses of lipidomics and proteomics data
What you should know
How we work together
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
Get to know us
- Lead from every seat - we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team - we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen - we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
At Sana,we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana istheplace for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.