NRDC is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our people helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our team of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and the globe from our offices in Bozeman, Montana; Chicago; New York; San Francisco; Santa Monica; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Program Assistant to work with the Ocean and Water teams in our New York office.Position Summary
NRDC is seeking a Program Assistant based in the New York office to provide administrative support to Ocean team staff and to Water team staff who work on regional, national and international ocean protection and water issues, ensuring that our drinking water is safe, sufficient, and affordable for all in a changing environment, establishing marine protected areas, promoting sustainable fisheries, advocating for an international treaty to protect the high seas and fighting offshore oil and gas development. We seek an enthusiastic and organized individual who can facilitate our work and has strong organizational skills.Responsibilities
- Drafting contracts, processing invoices, completing expense reports, assisting with budget management, and tracking expenses and grant allocations;
- Coordinating staff calendars, scheduling meetings and calls, handling travel arrangements;
- Performing traditional clerical responsibilities, including word-processing, copying, filing, mailing, and maintaining paper and electronic filing systems;
- Assisting in the preparation of policy, scientific and legal documents, reports, fundraising proposals, blogs and relevant program materials by proofreading, fact-checking, editing, and conducting basic research;
- Organizing and facilitating program events, including outside functions with members and donors;
- Handling arrangements for registration, ground passes, logistics for staff and guest attendance at UN meetings and other intergovernmental conferences.
- Bachelors Degree;
- Previous administrative experience;
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Excellent project management and project coordination skills;
- Ability to work independently, follow organizational procedures and perform accurately under deadlines;
- Self-directed with the ability to prioritize, manage and follow through on multiple tasks;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Sharepoint, Teams, and Powerpoint;
- Strong facility with spreadsheets and databases;
- Ability to organize and manage external events;
- Willingness to be available for occasional overtime work; and
- Commitment to NRDCs values and mission.
- Interest in environmental issues is a plus;
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills; and
- Event planning experience.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming diverse voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. For this position, the salary is $50,000 to $55,000. Internal equity considerations will be reviewed before making a final offer.
Since March 2020, NRDCs offices have been closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. You will be associated with one of our offices, but until circumstances allow us to re-open, we will continue to support NRDCers with remote working arrangements.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.
To apply, visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your rsum and cover letter. Please mention where you saw this posting and upload any additional materials that showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates we would like to interview. Please no phone calls, emails, or in-person rsum drop-offs.
If you experience technical problems while applying or if you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For more about NRDC, visit www.nrdc.org.