Job DescriptionSalary: SUMMARY:
NextGen America is seeking passionate and hardworking candidates to join our youth organizing program in Arizona, working to engage young people in electoral politics by registering thousands of young people to vote across the state. NextGen is committed to engaging young people in Arizona in the political process and increasing participation among 18-35 year olds. This role will be focused on organizing in one of several regions in Arizona as part of this ambitious effort. The primary work location for this role will be one of the following (to be assigned at time of hire): Mesa Community College, ASU Polytechnic Campus
In Arizona, this effort will focus on organizing young people on campuses and the surrounding communities to bring progressive change to government through voting. Our work will engage young people in voter registration efforts, volunteer recruitment, and pledging young people to vote. Our 2022 electoral program will include traditional electoral organizing tactics such as tabling, phone banking, peer-to-peer text banking, and more to register and mobilize young voters. Organizers need to be comfortable and confident in: mobilizing their own community, growing their network to include new volunteers to train, and motivating community leaders to help register and mobilize their own networks. Organizers are directly responsible for managing a team of volunteers in their region to hit weekly and phase metric goals.
This role reports to the Regional Organizing Director.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Remote Position: No
Union Position: Yes
Travel Requirements: 10-15%
Position End Date: 11/15/2022ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Hit defined field goals, including voter registration, traditional grassroots voter contact, earned media, digital outreach, and event planning and turnout
- Meet all data and field reporting deadlines
- In-person organizing, including voter and community engagement at voter homes, businesses, campuses and NextGen-sponsored events
- Work with college administrations to increase civic participation and voter registration within the campus community
- Implement a digital-forward organizing program that includes social media, direct outreach online, phone banking, text banking and creative tactics to reach voters where they are
- Develop NextGen student clubs on campuses and work with student leaders to run these clubs and host events on campus and online
- Develop relationships and partnerships with local community and student groups
- Plan and host events within the community, on campus, and virtually
- Recruit and train a local volunteer team that will organize their networks around voter registration drives and get out the vote efforts
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Weekend and irregular work hours required
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Effective communication in a digital and largely online environment
- Driven by a strong work ethic
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to evolving priorities and manage several tasks simultaneously
- Previous electoral organizing experience is a plus
- Bilingual candidates are a plus
In-person organizing is an essential part of this position. Consistent with NextGen America's efforts to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees, volunteers, and communities in which we serve, proof of full vaccination status at time of hire is an employment requirement for this position.
Please note that our program may change as conditions in each state fluctuate due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff may be required to shift between remote and in-person work in response to changing conditions, such as: on-the-ground risk levels, public health guidance or local social distancing requirements.COMPENSATION
Salary of $4,278.65/month plus a comprehensive benefits package.UNION MEMBERSHIP:
Employees in this classification are represented by the Campaign Workers Guild and subject to the terms of a collective bargaining agreement. This bargaining unit may establish and collect dues from their members independent from NextGen America.ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America is the leading national organization for engaging young people through voter education, registration and mobilization. We invite 18-to-35 year olds - the largest and most diverse generation in American history - into our democracy to ensure our government works for them and to find new solutions to the dire challenges facing our society and the world. Since 2013, NextGen America has registered more than 1.4 million young voters and educated many millions more, delivering more than the margin of victory for progressives in key races and building an electorate that will lead American politics for decades to come.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system, and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.