Job DescriptionWelcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again - from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future! Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 - Coty, Inc. - LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2021 - ZARA - cutting edge, high fashion black dresses made from LT recycled carbon
- 2021 - lululemon - sports apparel made from LT Recycled carbon
- 2021 - L'Oréal - partnership to make packaging with LT recycled carbon
- 2021 - Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 - Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 - Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 - CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
Interested in learning more? Visit us at www.LanzaTech.com and download/stream our latest CarbonSmartTM Podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify or wherever you receive your podcasts!
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Position Summary:
We have an exciting opportunity for a Chemical Engineer/Biochemical Engineer to join the Strain Development team at LanzaTech. The candidate will utilize state-of-the-art cultivation and systems biology approaches to characterize the physiology of novel Clostridium autoethanogenum strains under a range of conditions. The role also involves employing engineering principles to use and further develop down-scale controlled gas fermentations that bridge scale gaps between bench and pilot scales. The successful candidate will contribute to concept development and process parameter optimization for bench-scale bioreactors. As a member of this team the successful candidate will operate gas fermentation reactors and supporting systems, participate in experimental planning, and join cross-functional team-based projects with engineering, fermentation, synthetic biology, and computational biology. This person will be expected to design and execute laboratory experiments, analyze quantitative and systems biology data, to write and communicate results to understand and improve microbial fuel and chemical production. The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with the synthetic biology team that uses genetic manipulation, physiological characterization, high-throughput studies for strain generation, in conjunction with computational biology experts and ultimately with the Process Integration team on pilot activities.Specific Job Functions:
- Operate and troubleshoot lab scale fermentation reactors.
- Apply engineering principles and concepts to demonstrate the mass transfer and transport phenomenon properties of gas fermentation system.
- Design experiments around fermentation process operating parameters and formulate correlations between process variable and productivity.
- Aid in development and operation of novel lab-scale gas fermentation processes that emulate pilot scale operations.
- Write up novel concepts as invention disclosures and participate in the patent application process.
- Apply systems biology tools and machine learning methods to identify high value science for characterization and for predictive biology applications.
- Integrate numerous biological datasets and analysis tools on collaborative projects to generate and test hypotheses about biological functions and interactions.
- Contribute to a unified, extensible system in collaboration with computational biology team members.
- Master's degree in Chemical Engineering with a biology focus (bioprocess, biochemical, biological), fermentation science or a related field.
- Proven ability to perform independent research and organize data for publication and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with technical and scientific staff.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ingenuity in dealing with complex problems.
- Demonstrated strength and efficiency in technical writing.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering with a biology focus (bioprocess, biochemical, biological), fermentation science or a related field.
- Experience with systems biology analysis (e.g. RNA-Seq, proteomics, metabolomics) and background in programming, data science and/or computational biology.
- Anaerobic microbiology experience.
- Knowledge or experience of gas fermentation technology by anaerobic acetogens.
- Practical mechanical experience with bioprocess equipment.
- Knowledge of analytics & instrumentation of biological processes.
- LanzaTech Headquarters
- Skokie, IL USA
Powered by JazzHR