Job DescriptionSalary: Job Title: Senior Program Officer, Natural Climate SolutionsLocation: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business hours)Start Date: ImmediatelyReports to: Senior Manager, NCSAbout Verra
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world's most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) -- the world's leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries that account for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, supports local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
With the rapid growth in carbon markets driving a new wave of project development, Verra is seeking a Senior Program Officer to grow our Program Management Team.A day with Verra's Program Management Team might include…
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading...
- Conducting a review of a project submitted to Verra, through the VCS project cycle.
- Contributing to solutions for challenging project situations related to quality control of existing projects.
- Supporting the Legal, Policy, and Markets Team and Auditing and Accreditation Team by clarifying the program rules, reporting on validation/verification body (VVB) performance, and identifying VVB training needs.
- Providing guidance to junior staff members in complex reviews.
You bring with you...
- Reviewing project documents to ensure quality of VVB performance and integrity of projects requesting registration and verified carbon unit (VCU) issuance with Verra programs.
- Collaborating internally with the Auditing and Accreditation Team on project quality and VVB performance and liaising externally with VVBs. This role may also entail onsite audits of VVB site visits.
- Serving as a subject expert within the Program Management Team on nature-based solutions.
- Training, supervising, and mentoring junior staff.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, preferably working for a standards organization, NGO, government, project developer, and/or validation/verification body.
- Technical background and previous experience in reviewing or developing nature-based projects
- Interest in maintaining high quality projects and auditors through careful review of project requests and documentation.
- A relevant university degree. A master's degree would be advantageous.
- Understanding of climate change mitigation strategies, climate/development finance, and an appreciation for the challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of these arenas.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Culturally aware with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Self-starter with the ability to excel in a professional, team-oriented environment and work independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential and proficiency in other languages would be an advantage.
You will know you are successful, if...
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that address some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Gaining exposure to challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of activities aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving livelihoods.
- Finding effective ways to ensure the quality of projects and credits under the Verra programs.
- Working with a dynamic, committed, and focused team of professionals.
- Participating in industry conferences and other events and taking advantage of Verra's generous professional development benefits and program training.
You will join a team...
- You are seen as a leader and a go-to resource by your peers, and as a reliable and capable member of the team by your manager.
- You build on your appreciation and respect for the challenges and opportunities faced by users of the Verra programs and are able to effectively ensure the quality of activities certified under the Verra programs.
- Verra stakeholders experience professional and efficient reviews and interactions with you leading to continued satisfaction with Verra.
Compensation at Verra
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving quality so that finance can flow at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra's values.
For this position, the salary range is USD 59,108 - 72,207, depending on experience. We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra's total compensation package which also includes:
How to Apply
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance
- Verra contributions to each employee's retirement plan
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances
- Funds to support professional development
To apply, please send us the following:
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.