Drew University is seeking a Biology Operations Manager in the Biology Department. The position is a full-time, permanent 10-month position to oversee biology lab and stockroom operations. Includes setting up labs, purchasing, budget management, chemical inventory, animal room and greenhouse monitoring and maintenance, chemical safety and compliance, and supervising student assistants. Requires bachelor's degree in biology or equivalent. Requires ability to move equipment and physically set up labs and familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Setting up labs which includes making media and reagents, moving equipment, distributing supplies, prepping the cell culture room, maintaining organisms for study, running the autoclave, and arranging transportation for field trips.
- Purchasing and Budget which includes monitoring the stockroom, doing research on orders, placing orders, scheduling routine equipment maintenance and repair, and budget management.
- Animal Room monitoring and maintenance which includes setting up clean cages, using the cage washer, checking for food and water, keeping an inventory of for food and bedding and ordering items as needed
- Greenhouse monitoring and maintenance which includes ensuring plants are watered and identifying if plants are under stress.
- Maintain chemical safety records and ensuring compliance with chemical waste disposal. Make a list of student employees and research assistants for chemical safety training.
- Hiring, supervising and managing student assistants who work in the stockroom to perform duties such as glassware washing, lab cleanup, making reagent aliquots for labs, stocking of supplies, watering plants, and cleaning and setting up animal cages.
- Managing all teaching assistants to include clearing through student employment and making sure that their timesheets are filled out appropriately and approve
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in biology or related life science degree.
- Previous experience working in a biological laboratory setting and maintaining budgets preferred
- Microsoft Office skills
- Physically capable of moving and setting up equipment in the labs
To apply, submit the following materials to [HR will assign the mailbox address]. Priority application deadline: September 2nd. Application review will be on a rolling basis as applications are submitted; early applications are encouraged.
Please include your name in the subject.
- Cover letter
- Contact information of 3 professional references (or as specified by the Hiring Manager)
About Drew University:
Drew University, a Phi Beta Kappa liberal arts university, includes the College of Liberal Arts and the Drew Theological School and the Caspersen School of Graduate Studies. Drew is located on a beautiful, wooded campus in Madison, New Jersey, a thriving small town close to New York City.
It has a total enrollment of more than 2,000 students and has 148 full-time faculty members, 99% of whom hold the terminal degree in their field. The Theological and Caspersen schools offer MA and PhD degrees, and the College confers BA and BS degrees in over 50 disciplines, and offers 16 preprofessional and 16 dual-degree programs.
Drew's one-of-a-kind, leading edge path to an undergraduate degree, Launch, ensures that every student graduates with a purpose, sought-after transferable skills, a network of mentors, and an experience-based résumé-guaranteed. Particularly noteworthy opportunities for undergraduates include the Charles A. Dana Research Institute for Scientists Emeriti (RISE), home of 2015 Nobel Prize Winner for Medicine and Drew Fellow William Campbell, the Drew Summer Science Institute (DSSI), the Center for Civic Engagement, as well as New York City semesters focusing on Communications Media, Contemporary Art, Museums Cultural Management, New York Theatre, Social Entrepreneurship, Wall Street, and the United Nations, and several international semester programs.
Drew also houses the Center on Religion, Culture Conflict, the Center for Holocaust/Genocide Study and the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey, an independent professional theater, as well as the United Methodist Archives and History Center and one of the country's leading concentrations of materials on Willa Cather.
To enrich education through diversity, Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Following federal and state requirements; a candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States if selected for hire.
These positions are subject to a background check.