Job DescriptionStrategy LeadConnective
is a growing, Houston-based civic technology, design, and collective action nonprofit. Our mission is to transform social services into a more connected, empathetic, and accessible system. We do this by designing and delivering human-centered social service programs, developing cutting-edge technology tools for service providers, and leading community-wide change.
Getting assistance is harder than it should be, and the process of asking for help is dehumanizing and stressful. With mounting risk of climate disasters and increasing economic pressure on low-income communities, social services are struggling to keep up and need a radical transformation. That's why we're here.
We envision a future where the next crisis is not an emergency. A future in which we've prepared for and adapted to inevitable change. We dream of thriving, resilient communities that are equipped with the right tools in the moments they need them most. Our potential lies in our power to connect; we can do better through our collective knowledge and experience. Alongside our network of partners, we turn barriers into bridges and expand access for those in need.Is this you?
We are looking to hire an experienced Strategy Lead to structure Connective's client engagements, implement resulting work plans, and ultimately solve complex problems at the intersection of nonprofit programs, government services, and philanthropic investments.
In this role, you'll be in charge of shaping how we work with our partners to address a variety of social service challenges (eviction coordination, disaster home repair, direct financial assistance, etc.). You'll be most successful in this role with prior strategy or management consulting experience, a penchant for data-driven change management, and strong desire to center equity and justice in your work.About You:You've excelled in a prior management consulting or strategy role.
If you have a management consulting background, you have at least two years of post-MBA consulting experience or four years without an MBA. Candidates without management consulting experience who've held in-house strategy roles at high performing organizations are encouraged to apply, as well.You're a data-informed problem solver
. You relish complex questions. Uncertainty and future possibilities excite you. Your Excel modeling and qualitative research skills are equally impressive. You understand when to use qualitative or quantitative methods and know how to translate hypotheses into actionable plans. You communicate what you learn with your team, work with teammates to iterate on solutions and measure the success of your work.You make change happen
. You've had clear success in change leadership, change management, building trusted relationships with partners, and facilitating large group meetings. You understand that co-creation is an effective way to enhance ideas, secure buy-in from stakeholders, and balance out group power dynamics. You've advised clients on process optimization and change at the mid- and lower-levels of an organization, and you're not afraid to get into the trenches and do some hand holding. Bonus points if you've also worked on digital transformation and/or service design projects.You're a sharp and seasoned communicator.
Top-notch interpersonal skills are a must. You have a flair for putting together and delivering presentations that inspire action. Your proposals and emails are persuasive, clear and concise.You're eager to work on some of society's toughest challenges.
Connective is here to transform social services in the face of a lack of affordable housing, soaring healthcare and childcare costs and mounting natural disasters exacerbated by climate change, among other issues. Not only are these some of Houston's most urgent problems, but they also apply to the rest of the country. You're ready to roll up your sleeves and apply your consulting skills to the greater good.You're an equity and justice champion
. You listen to historically marginalized communities, center their voices, and take action against continued systemic oppression. Connective is committed to improving systems in ways that lead to equitable outcomes on our team and in the communities we serve.You've excelled in a prior management consulting or strategy role.
If you have a management consulting background, you have at least two years of post-MBA consulting experience or four years without an MBA. Candidates without management consulting experience who've held in-house strategy roles at high performing organizations are encouraged to apply, as well.Things You'll Do:
Your Compensation and Benefits
- Conduct exploration and due diligence to understand client needs and structuring proposals for addressing those needs.
- Create detailed, evolving work plans for new client engagements, including budgets, timelines, and staffing requirements, and leading project team members on work plan execution.
- Manage multiple complex client engagements with nonprofit, philanthropic, and government partners to address a variety of social service challenges (eviction coordination, disaster home repair, direct financial assistance, etc.).
- Contribute to Connective's mission to transform social services through teaching others and replicating best practices in human-centered design, Agile project management, organizational behavior, and other methodologies.
- Manage multiple team members, both internal and external, and collaborate with internal shared services (marketing, data analytics, technology, etc.) and vendors to achieve project goals.
- Analyze performance metrics and leverage advanced Excel models to understand operational gaps and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Lead, mentor and coach team members and proactively contribute to team culture.
- Identify inequities and gaps in social services and co-create solutions with Connective team members and partners to relieve social, economic, and climate-related pressures on individuals and communities.
- Support Executive Director and Director of Partnerships and Policy on business development efforts, including grant applications and RFPs.
- Please note: Job duties/requirements may change as business needs require.
Come as You Are
- Your annual base salary range for this role is $90,000 - $130,000. Annual bonuses are offered based on your contributions and performance.
- You'll receive a 401(k)-employer match of up to 6%.
- On day one, you'll have access to quality, affordable health insurance coverage (includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance). You can also choose to participate in an HSA or FSA.
- You'll be encouraged to prioritize your work life balance and will receive 20 days of PTO/floating holidays, plus 11 paid company holidays, per calendar year.
- If you have or adopt a child, you'll be entitled to 8 weeks of parental leave at 100 percent of the employee's regular weekly pay, and an additional 4 weeks at 50 percent. 4 additional weeks may be taken without pay.
- You'll have access to a comprehensive Employee Assistance Program (EAP), which includes mental health and legal resources for you and family members, even if they're not your dependents.
- You'll join a Houston-based, local remote team that offers both flexibility and opportunities to collaborate with colleagues and partners.
- You are welcome to work from anywhere for a week at a time while maintaining Houston working hours. Additional work-from-anywhere flexibility is offered in the summer and around the winter holidays. After three years with Connective, employees have the option to work permanently from anywhere in the U.S. while maintaining Houston working hours and traveling to Houston or elsewhere as needed.
Connective is firmly committed to building a diverse team that reflects the communities we serve. We value your unique experiences and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, women, minorities, people with disabilities, system-impacted people, veterans, and people of all ages to apply.
Connective is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to all applicable city, state and federal laws regarding equal employment opportunity and hiring practices.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, disabled veteran status, or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.
It is the policy of Connective not to discriminate against any individual, person, or group on the basis of disability and the intent of Connective to address any complaints may arise pursuant to Section 504.