Job DescriptionJoin the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow (Neisseria Gonorrhoeae Research)
to support the Microbiology and Immunology (MIC) located at Uniformed Services University in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to MIC.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will be responsible for initiating and carrying out research projects in collaboration with a research team. This individual will be responsible for planning and conducting experiments designed to examine the impact of antibiotic resistance alleles on gonococcal fitness in vitro and in animal infection models. The primary focus will be antibiotic resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae within the laboratory of Dr. Ann Jerse. Pursuits research along a focused line of inquiry and has a manuscript in development.NOTE: As per Executive Order 14042, all HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Assists in designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research and/or development. (15%)
- Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories to potential inventions and products. (10%)
- Performs specialized laboratory research utilizing experimental protocols which involves specialized procedures. (40%)
- Collects and handles samples and keeps detailed records of experiments. (20%)
- Assists with the preparation of data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals. (15%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for the role.
- Knowledge of appropriate scientific areas; ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Knowledge of microbial pathogenesis, innate immune responses to infection, antibiotic resistance; competence in bacterial culture, in vitro inhibition assays, and molecular biology with some bioinformatics expertise; technical expertise with assays commonly used to study pathogenesis (i.e., in vitro assays, tissue culture cell assays, animal models).
- Experience with animal handling is desirable.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements:
- Doctoral degree required.
- A minimum of 0-5 years of experience is required.
Lab Environment.Work Arrangement:
This position is 100% on-site and has no teleworking capability.Background/Security:
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
- Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Please apply via the following URL link: Postdoctoral Fellow (Neisseria Gonorrhoeae Research) - Microbiology and Immunology | HJF Careers (ultipro.com)About Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine:
HJF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing military medicine. We serve military, medical, academic and government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent scientific programs that benefit members of the armed forces and civilians alike.Since its founding in 1983, HJF has served as a vital link between the military medical community and its federal and private partners. HJF's support and administrative capabilities allow military medical researchers and clinicians to maintain their scientific focus and accomplish their research goals.