Job DescriptionSalary: DOEABOUT AIR PROTEIN
At Air Protein, we're passionate about creating a new food system-one that pushes the boundaries of what anyone thought was possible and builds a healthy relationship between our food and our planet. This is a new era of sustainable production; we can use less and make more. We can feed the growing global population without destroying rainforests or warming the planet. Join our diverse team of passionate scientists, engineers, and business leaders working to create the future of food-meat made from elements of the air.
As an innovative food company, we are crafting the world's first air-based meats to eliminate compromise between nutrition, taste and climate impact. Using novel technology inspired by NASA, we convert elements found in the air into protein. Air Protein's process is carbon-negative by design, using less land and water, and is powered by renewable energy. It's where cutting-edge science meets bold ambition to reinvent the way we eat.
We're currently seeking a Research Associate - Fermentation
to join our extraordinary team.
- Are you passionate about scaling process technology, from lab scale to commercial?
- Do you have experience with fermenters or bioreactors?
- Do you love creating a culture of safety on your teams?
- Have you worked with hydrogen and/or have robust knowledge of PSM?
If you answered yes to these questions, then WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! Benefits & Perks:
In addition to the chance to work with a world-class team and cutting-edge technology to help combat climate change and address the impending food crisis, Air Protein employees also enjoy competitive benefits. We offer unlimited PTO, parental leave, 401K match, and compensation plans that include employee equity. Air Protein invests in employee development and the company culture is shaped by shared values:
- Protect people & the planet
- Play as a team and have a growth mindset
- Do what you say you will do
- Be the change you seek
- Create a culture of belonging
The Research Associate - Fermentation
is an experienced engineer, scientist, technician, or related occupation that is responsible for the safe execution of experiments in fermentation. This position will be located in the SF/Bay area and would require the selected candidate to either live in commutable distance or relocate to the area.Key Responsibilities:
- Undertake fermentation process research in collaboration with the team
- Operate and maintain bioreactors and/or fermenters, and support equipment at the lab and/or pilot scale
- Participate in the commissioning and start-up of lab scale bioreactors and support equipment
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Write technical documentation including recording in laboratory notebooks / electronic notebooks, reports, and Standard Operating Procedures
- Maintain safety in the operation of fermenters/bioreactors and support Project Safety Management (PSM)
Skills & Qualities
- Engineering or science degree
- 2+ years' experience in a biotech, pharmaceutical, biofuel, R&D, or food fermentation role or equivalent experience in place of a degree
- Expertise in cGMP food and/or pharmaceutical operations is preferred.
- Hands-on experience operating bioreactors at the lab and/or pilot scale
- Experience with safely using hazardous gasses and high-pressure gas systems is an asset but not required.
Check us out in the media, news, and in the community:
- Able to recognize when optimization is necessary - ability to troubleshoot and manage operations
- Strong leadership in safety, demonstrated
- Demands excellence in execution
- Mechanically inclined
Air Protein Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Forbes: The Meatless Mafia: Four Companies Revolutionizing the Future of Food
- World Economic Forum: Air Protein Named WEF Technology Pioneer
- TED Talk: A forgotten Space Age Technology Could Change How We Grow Food
- Bloomberg: Crop Trader ADM Pours Money Into Firm Making Meat Out of Air
At Air Protein, we are committed to providing equal opportunities. Because we want the absolute best people, we enthusiastically invite people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability or any other status protected by law - to apply to join our team. Research has shown that women and people from marginalized groups may not apply for a role if they aren't a 100% match. Please don't hold back. If you think you will excel in this role, but perhaps you don't tick every box, we'd appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.