Job DescriptionResearch Associate/Senior Research Associate, Biology
The Biology department at Calithera Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated individual who will be involved in the design, execution, and interpretation of experiments to identify novel drug targets and support drug discovery efforts. Duties will include performing cell-based assays for target validation, biochemical and cellular characterization of lead compounds, mechanism of action studies and mammalian cell culture. This position requires knowledge of cancer biology or other disease-related field.Background
Calithera Biosciences is a clinical-stage, publicly traded biopharmaceutical company pioneering the discovery and development of first-in-class small-molecule therapies for the treatment of cancer. Driven by a commitment to rigorous science and a passion for improving the lives of people impacted by cancer and other life-threatening diseases, Calithera is advancing a pipeline of oral therapeutics to meaningfully expand treatment options available to patients. Calithera is headquartered in South San Francisco, California.Duties and responsibilities
- Apply genetic methods (RNAi/CRISPR) to identify novel drug targets in cancer cells.
- Assist in compound screening efforts, lead optimization, and biochemical and cellular characterization of hits/leads.
- Develop and implement cell-based assays of lead compounds.
- Culture human cancer cell lines and provide tissue culture support for animal studies.
- Analyze, interpret and effectively communicate results and data to supervisor.
- Maintain well-written and accurate research notebooks detailing work undertaken.
- Effectively communicate ongoing work to supervisor and biology group members.
- B.S. or M.S. in Biology or related field with 2-5 years of hands-on work experience in biotech/pharma.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with designing, executing, and analyzing cell-based experiments.
- Proficiency in quantitative plate-based biochemical and cellular assays for drug discovery efforts (e.g. protein assay, ELISA, Cell Titer Glo, etc).
- Proficiency in applying genetic methods to interrogate protein function (e.g. siRNA, shRNA, or CRISPR).
- Experience with western blotting, qPCR, and enzyme assay development is highly desired.
- Highly motivated with excellent problem solving abilities.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing project needs.
- Good communication, interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills are essential.
Calithera Biosciences, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
To learn more information about this position: www.calithera.com/culture.Privacy Notice
California CandidatesCalifornia law requires that we provide you this notice about the collection and use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully.
Effective Date: October 13, 2020 Introduction
This notice ("Notice
") describes the categories of personal information that Calithera Biosciences, Inc. ("Company", "we
" and "our
") collects about California residents who apply or are recruited for a job with us or one of our affiliates ("candidates
"), and the purposes for which we use that information.
For purposes of this Notice, "personal information
" has the meaning given in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (the "CCPA
") but excludes information exempted from the CCPA's scope.
This Notice does not create or form part of any contract for employment or otherwise.
1.1. Categories of personal information
The categories of personal information we may collect and process during the application and recruitment process include:
- Contact information, such as home address, telephone number, and email address;
- Information from job application materials or recruiters, such as your job application, resume or CV, cover letter, writing samples, references, work history, education transcripts, whether you are subject to prior employer obligations, and information that referrers provide about you;
- Professional qualifications, such as licenses, permits, memberships, and certifications;
- Information from the application process, such as any phone-screens, interviews, evaluations and outcomes of recruiting exercises;
- Immigration status and other information that would allow us to verify your employment eligibility;
- Biographical information, such as name, gender, date of birth, professional history, references, language proficiencies, education details, and information you make publicly available through job search or career networking sites;
- Job preferences, such as desired position and compensation, location preferences and willingness to relocate;
- Employment history;
- Background check information, such as information necessary to complete background, credit, drug/alcohol and/or other checks when permitted by law, and information received during these checks;
- Information needed to understand and assess accommodation requests regarding potential disabilities or other health conditions;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding an applicant's interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement, as well as physical and network access logs and other network activity information related to your use of any Company device, network or other information resource.
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as race, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, and military/veteran status;
- Audio, electronic, visual and similar information, such as CCTV footage, photographs, and audio, video or call recordings created in connection with our business activities; and
- Other information you provide to us.
Providing personal information to us is voluntary. However, if you do not provide sufficient information, we may be unable to consider your application or, if you are hired, your subsequent promotion, transfer or relocation.
In certain cases, we may ask you for additional information for purposes of complying with applicable laws. We may also inquire about criminal records. We will do so only where permitted by applicable law. 2. How we use personal information about candidates
2.1. Purposes for which we use personal information
We may use the categories of personal information above for the following purposes:
- Recruitment management. Managing recruitment generally, such as:
- operating the careers website that we maintain at https://www.calithera.com/culture/ or any other site to which this Notice is posted ("Careers Site");
- recruiting, interviewing and evaluating job candidates;
- conducting background checks or other pre-employment screening (where permitted by law);
- extending offers, negotiating the terms of offers, and assessing salary and compensation matters;
- analyzing and improving our application and recruitment processes;
- accommodating disabilities or health conditions;
- communicating with you regarding your candidacy, opportunities with the Company or about the Careers Site and any changes to applicable terms or policies;
- maintaining your personal information for future consideration; and
- other business operations.
- Compliance, safety and fraud prevention, such as:
- complying with or monitoring compliance with legal and other requirements, such as reporting and equal opportunities monitoring requirements, where applicable;
- complying with internal policies and procedures;
- complying with lawful requests and legal process, such as responding to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- protecting our, your or others' rights, safety and property;
- investigating and deterring against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, or conduct in violation of our policies or procedures; and
- sharing information with government authorities, law enforcement, courts or private parties where we have a good-faith belief it is necessary for the foregoing purposes.
- Analytics. Creating anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data that we use and share to analyze our application and recruitment activities, business and for other lawful business purposes.
2.2. Sharing personal information
We may share your personal information with other parties as necessary for the purposes described above. For example, we may share your personal information with:
3. Other information about this Notice
- Affiliates. Our corporate parent, subsidiaries, and other affiliates under the control of our corporate parent, for purposes consistent with this Notice or to operate shared infrastructure, systems and technology.
- Company service providers. Companies that provide us with services that help us manage the recruiting process and operate our business, such as job boards, recruiters, interviewing and testing, pre-employment screening, interview travel booking and expense reimbursement (where applicable), relocation (where applicable), and recruitment analytics.
- Government authorities, law enforcement and others. Government authorities, law enforcement, courts, and others as described in the compliance, safety and fraud prevention section above.
- Business transfers. Parties to transactions and potential transactions whereby we sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our business or assets, including your personal information, such as a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy or dissolution.
- Professional advisors. Lawyers, immigration advisors, and other outside professional advisors.
3.1 Third parties
This Notice does not address, and we are not responsible for, the practices of any third parties, which have their own rules for how they collect and use your personal information. Our links to third party websites or services are not endorsements.
3.2. Alternative formats for candidates with disabilities
Upon request, this Notice is available in alternative formats, such as large print, braille, or audio. Please contact Kim Smith at email@example.com, and an alternative format will be provided to you so you can access the information in this Notice.
3.3 Changes to this Notice
We reserve the right to change this Notice at any time. Any changes will become effective when we send the revised notice to you.
The Careers Site is not intended for minors under the age of 18.
Powered by JazzHR