TRA offers a competitive starting salary range, along with a comprehensive benefits package including insurance programs, savings programs, paid time off and holidays. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. TRA is an equal opportunity employer. If interested, please apply at
This position, under general direction of the Environmental Supervisor, is responsible for monitoring compliance of contracting parties and industries with the Industrial Pretreatment Program regulations and procedures established by contract limitations, Industrial Waste Ordinance and the EPA. This individual will maintain and review permits, applications, self-monitoring reports and laboratory data. Supervises the coordination of the waste sampling activities, which involves the training and direction of sampling personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Conducts investigations with representatives of contracting parties concerning industrial discharges and point of entry compliance with Industrial Waste Ordinances and Federal Categorical discharge limitations.
2. Performs inspections of industrial users to determine industrial type sources of wastewater discharge and discharge category.
3. Conducts follow-up inspections to check for compliance with regulations, updates existing information files, and investigates possible changes or additions to facility processes.
4. Investigates reports of slug or accidental spills which may cause damage and/or interfere with the wastewater collection systems, treatment processes or biosolid utilization.
5. Meets with contracting parties and industrial representatives to discuss recommendations/requirements on Industrial User's permit applications, investigation findings, pretreatment problems or needs for compliance.
6. Responsible for supervising the installation and operation of field monitoring and testing equipment.
7. Compiles and interprets data collected during investigations and inspections for compliance with the Industrial Waste Ordinance and/or Federal Categorical Standards.
8. Prepares inspection reports and makes recommendations as required.
9. Assists in the review of permit applications, industrial waste permits, self-monitoring reports and current pretreatment literature.
10. Coordinates/maintains schedules of waste sampling monitoring activities.
11. Directly supervises a group of more junior level employees to include hiring, training, scheduling and performance evaluation.
Regularly leads the work of other employees.
No significant financial responsibilities.
(required level of education)
Bachelor degree in chemistry, biology, environmental science or a related field.
(minimum years and types of related experience required)
Two years of technical and administrative experience in inspecting, investigating or monitoring environmental control activities to comply with mandated regulations. Experience and training in waste treatment/collection systems and the identification of waste and chemical characteristics required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
(any specialized certifications licenses or registrations required by TRA or other authority in order to do the job, including those the incumbent must be able to obtain)
Valid Texas driver's license. Possession or ability to obtain a Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Class B Wastewater Operator Certificate of Competency when qualifications obtained.
(Information or facts than employee must know in order to be able to perform the work)
Must possess a broad knowledge of the principles and practices of industrial waste treatment, local, state and federal laws pertaining to pretreatment and industrial waste.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
(developed capability to use or apply knowledge effectively or dexterity/coordination in the performance of physical tasks)
Ability to make responsible decisions as required by circumstances. Mathematical ability with careful attention to detail required. Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with employees and representatives of other organizations in areas of investigations and data collections. Capable of using equipment needed for field sampling and testing.
Guided by priorities and policies. Is guided primarily by established priorities and policies, along with professional standards and best practices to guide decisions and any direction or advice given to others. Typically makes recommendations to managers on policy and process improvements after considering/analyzing various alternatives. Proactively addresses needed changes to policies, methods and procedures and obtains approval.
This position involves moderate physical exertion with lifting requirements up to 10 pounds daily and up to 50 pounds weekly. General physical mobility is required in order to conduct off-site inspections.
Working conditions include exposure to weather and chemical hazards.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Monitoring equipment i.e. automatic samplers, flow meters, field and laboratory testing equipment, computer and mobil communications.
Company DescriptionThe Trinity River flows across Texas for hundreds of miles. Providing drinking water to more than 50% of the state's population, the Trinity River is one of the most important waterways in the country. The Trinity River Authority of Texas (TRA) is proud to play an important role in preserving and developing this vital resource for Texans and the generations of Texans to come.
Established by the state Legislature in 1955, TRA provides water and wastewater treatment and recreation and reservoir facilities throughout the Trinity River Basin and maintains a master plan for basin-wide development. TRA also serves as a conduit for tax-exempt financing for municipal projects and as a local sponsor for federal water projects.
TRA is constantly working to improve water quality and remains at the forefront of cutting-edge technologies and innovations. An exciting and dynamic organization, TRA is poised for success for years to come.
TRA offers a competitive starting salary range, along with a comprehensive benefits package including insurance programs, savings programs, paid time off and holidays. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. TRA is an equal opportunity employer.