Job DescriptionSalary: ABOUT AIR PROTEIN
At Air Protein, we're passionate about creating a new food system-one that pushes the boundaries of what anyone thought was possible and builds a healthy relationship between our food and our planet. This is a new era of sustainable production; we can use less and make more. We can feed the growing global population without destroying rainforests or warming the planet. Join our diverse team of passionate scientists, engineers, and business leaders working to create the future of food-meat made from elements of the air.
As an innovative food company, we are crafting the world's first air-based meats to eliminate compromise between nutrition, taste and climate impact. Using novel technology inspired by NASA, we convert elements found in the air into protein. Air Protein's process is carbon-negative by design, using less land and water, and is powered by renewable energy. It's where cutting-edge science meets bold ambition to reinvent the way we eat.
We're currently seeking a Research Associate - Strain Engineering
to join our extraordinary team.
- Do you have a solid understanding of modern molecular biology techniques?
- Are you familiar with genetic engineering principles and tools for microbial hosts?
- Do you possess strong wet-lab skills?
- Do you love creating a culture of safety on your teams?
If you answered yes to these questions, then WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! Benefits & Perks:
In addition to the chance to work with a world-class team and cutting-edge technology to help combat climate change and address the impending food crisis, Air Protein employees also enjoy competitive benefits. We offer unlimited PTO, parental leave, 401K match, and compensation plans that include employee equity. Air Protein invests in employee development and the company culture is shaped by shared values:
- Protect people & the planet
- Play as a team and have a growth mindset
- Do what you say you will do
- Be the change you seek
- Create a culture of belonging
The Research Associate- Strain Engineering role will focus on increasing our understanding and developing our non-model microbial hosts for the production of a wide array of value-added products. This position is located in the SF / Bay area. Only candidates that are local or will consider relocation will be considered.Key Responsibilities:
- Execute on experiments focused on the genetic engineering of non-model microbial hosts
- Carry out design of genetic constructs in silico , cloning and verification of recombinant DNA, transformation of non-model hosts, and screening of the resulting transformants for specific traits
- Experience with genetic tool development for non-model hosts is a plus
- Follow SOPs and complete work with a high degree of technical excellence
- Collaborate with team members to expedite completion of high-priority projects
Skills & Qualities
- BSc or equivalent in biochemistry, protein science, molecular biology, chemical engineering, or related field.
- 1 to 10+ years of relevant (non-academic) industry experience working in molecular biology or biochemistry labs, the RA-level will be commensurate with the amount of experience.
Check us out in the media, news, and in the community:
- Conceptual and practical understanding of modern cloning and gene-editing techniques.
- Ability to work on-site, in the lab, full-time.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral), interpersonal and team skills.
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail and able to uphold a high degree of scientific rigor.
Air Protein is an equal opportunity employer
- Forbes: The Meatless Mafia: Four Companies Revolutionizing the Future of Food
- World Economic Forum: Air Protein Named WEF Technology Pioneer
- TED Talk: A forgotten Space Age Technology Could Change How We Grow Food
- Bloomberg: Crop Trader ADM Pours Money Into Firm Making Meat Out of Air
At Air Protein, we are committed to providing equal opportunities. Because we want the absolute best people, we enthusiastically invite people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability - or any other status protected by law - to apply to join our team.
Research has shown that women and people from marginalized groups may not apply for a role if they aren't a 100% match. Please don't hold back. If you think you will excel in this role, but perhaps you don't tick every box, we'd appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.